6.5-06?

Bigjoe38922

I'm debating clambering a barrel for a old mauser 98 I have in 6.5-06 and was wonderin if anyone had any experience with that cartridge they could share? Any thing would be appreciated mainly twist rate and a good barrel length I found a McGowan heavy barrel with a 1:8 twist 26in long for a really good deal haven't bit yet. Also wonderin if Ackley improved helps this one any

I burned out my 6.5-06 barrel using necked down 270 brass and 140 vld. Barrel was 24.5" and velocity with RL 26 was an easy 2950. Killed whitetails, mule deer, black bears and mtn goat. Feeds like butter, low recoil, brass available everywhere. Its a great round.

I'm debating clambering a barrel for a old mauser 98 I have in 6.5-06 and was wonderin if anyone had any experience with that cartridge they could share? Any thing would be appreciated mainly twist rate and a good barrel length I found a McGowan heavy barrel with a 1:8 twist 26in long for a really good deal haven't bit yet. Also wonderin if Ackley improved helps this one any
I would second the 6.5-280 improved easiest way to do it and it is a heck of a round the 8 twist would be fine for 140 grain and possibly the 156 with the velocity it would be running

I burned out my 6.5-06 barrel using necked down 270 brass and 140 vld. Barrel was 24.5" and velocity with RL 26 was an easy 2950. Killed whitetails, mule deer, black bears and mtn goat. Feeds like butter, low recoil, brass available everywhere. Its a great round.
How many rounds do you think before it fell over?

1200. I didn't shoot long strings either. But I feel like 1200 is good for the performance I got. Took 2 weeks to get new barrel in. This is never a cheap hobby lol.

I have 1800rds on mine and I think I just lost mine but it is really a performing round. Was over 3000fps with a 140gr.

1200. I didn't shoot long strings either. But I feel like 1200 is good for the performance I got. Took 2 weeks to get new barrel in. This is never a cheap hobby lol.
I wonder if you got ceramic building in front of the throat. I had a 22x6rem imp quit on me and I jb,d it good and it came back and it is still shooting. Maybe?

It was a Hart stainless barrel. Entirely possible it was something like ceramic or carbon buildup. Accuracy went and I didn't feel like messing with it.

It was a Hart stainless barrel. Entirely possible it was something like ceramic or carbon buildup. Accuracy went and I didn't feel like messing with it.
Considering my friends 260 ai was toast at 1800 rounds 1200 is probably about right for a 6.5-06.
It's funny I was all worried about barrel life when I put a 6.5 saum together 4 years ago..
I've put about 600 rounds through the tack driver, and kinda wish I could burn it up so I can justify getting a 20" barrel with a 7 twist for 140 MTH bullets suppressed.
Point being if it's not a match rifle 1000 rounds is pretty good barrel life in my opinion.

Considering my friends 260 ai was toast at 1800 rounds 1200 is probably about right for a 6.5-06.
It's funny I was all worried about barrel life when I put a 6.5 saum together 4 years ago..
I've put about 600 rounds through the tack driver, and kinda wish I could burn it up so I can justify getting a 20" barrel with a 7 twist for 140 MTH bullets suppressed.
Point being if it's not a match rifle 1000 rounds is pretty good barrel life in my opinion.
I hear you. Like buying a corvette and worrying about how long your tires will last. lol

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts