6.5-06 load with 140 berger

tobehunted

Just wondering what anyone is getting group wise with their 6.5-06 ? I tried RL22 and couldn't get anything better than a quarter 4 shot group at 100 yds. I tried Retumbo and got 1 dime group all around the inside edges of the circle. So I tried IMR7828 which is what works in the boys 6.5x284 and the wifes 6.5 Remington magnum and I got dime groups all day but once again it just wasn't quite what I was looking for ( a nice tight group. So I switched from Winchester large rifle primers to Remington 9.5magnum primers and actually came down in pressure ???? Noticed a little less recoil and the primers were all round on the sides instead of starting to flatten out a bit with the WLR primers, groups shrank a little but still not what I wanted. Yes the wife was hounding me the whole time ( what that small a group isn't good enough ? all your doing is wasting powder and bullets) Yeah ok now its personal. So I went from the bergers just off the lands to giving them a bit of a good jump and that did the trick. And yes I walked all around the house with a smile on my face ! :D I chronographed them today and I am right at 2810 FPS ,seemed a little slow but im not changing anything with that kind of group.

Attachments

• target 1.pdf 6.5-06.pdf
    241.7 KB · Views: 224
Now that you have your seating depth you can search for some more speed with the other powders.RL 26 is 400fps faster in the 6.5 sherman so you could reasonably get closer to 3k fps with that or rl 22. Same for the 7828.

If you are happy with the groups ,try them at 300yds + cause I'm pretty sure a deer or yote wont ask if that was 2850 fps or was it 3000 fps+, He will just be glad you hit what u shot at, and He wont complain.

Just wondering what anyone is getting group wise with their 6.5-06 ? I tried RL22 and couldn't get anything better than a quarter 4 shot group at 100 yds. I tried Retumbo and got 1 dime group all around the inside edges of the circle. So I tried IMR7828 which is what works in the boys 6.5x284 and the wifes 6.5 Remington magnum and I got dime groups all day but once again it just wasn't quite what I was looking for ( a nice tight group. So I switched from Winchester large rifle primers to Remington 9.5magnum primers and actually came down in pressure ???? Noticed a little less recoil and the primers were all round on the sides instead of starting to flatten out a bit with the WLR primers, groups shrank a little but still not what I wanted. Yes the wife was hounding me the whole time ( what that small a group isn't good enough ? all your doing is wasting powder and bullets) Yeah ok now its personal. So I went from the bergers just off the lands to giving them a bit of a good jump and that did the trick. And yes I walked all around the house with a smile on my face ! :D I chronographed them today and I am right at 2810 FPS ,seemed a little slow but im not changing anything with that kind of group.

Berger manual has a max of 2888fps with their 140gr using 51.2gr/IMR-7828ssc from 26" barrel 6.5x06. I agree on shooting load out to 300yds. If you have 26" barrel I would think you could do better on velocity but won't change anything till you shot it further out.

It would be nice to do a little longer paperwork but we are covered in snow here , I shot the 100 yard target in my driveway, which is really nice when you want to load 4 more a little higher. Its suppose to warm up for the next few days in the 40s that should melt some snow and give me a chance to make it in to where I shoot 400 yards , still might have to plow it out though

It would be nice to do a little longer paperwork but we are covered in snow here , I shot the 100 yard target in my driveway, which is really nice when you want to load 4 more a little higher. Its suppose to warm up for the next few days in the 40s that should melt some snow and give me a chance to make it in to where I shoot 400 yards , still might have to plow it out though

I live Co @ 7700FT and I've plow more snow last couple months and I'm heading to Vegas later today then over to AZ for week of warm weather.

RL 22 has produced the best groups of the powders I have tried N560 and H4831 as well. This is from my 25"Hart and 700 with WLR primers. I have some 7828ssc I may try. Currently using new Lapua 30-06 necked down.

Do the groups change much after fire forming?

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

What is your barrel length?
I'm on my second barrel. Both 28in. Using H4831, Fed 210m primers, Norma brass (25-06 necked up) I easily get 3050+ fps, and great accuracy.

Now that you have your seating depth you can search for some more speed with the other powders.RL 26 is 400fps faster in the 6.5 sherman so you could reasonably get closer to 3k fps with that or rl 22. Same for the 7828.

I have also gotten the lowest es of ANY powder I have ever used as well as top velocity. I consistently get single digit ES readings in all of the Sherman cases......Rich

375 fan - your on your second barrel what kind of round count did you get on your first ? I have a 26 inch barrel ( should have got the 28 finished length ) but my boy might grab it to shoot when season is in or shoot a coyote right around here, might be a little long for him. I had high hopes on rel22 but that barrel just didnt really like it all that much . Cant wait till some snow melts so I can shoot out to 3 or 400 yds and see what kind of group I can get. Its 40 degrees out and the snow is melting quick today so I might have to put the plow on the ranger and see what I can clear

375 fan - your on your second barrel what kind of round count did you get on your first ? I have a 26 inch barrel ( should have got the 28 finished length ) but my boy might grab it to shoot when season is in or shoot a coyote right around here, might be a little long for him. I had high hopes on rel22 but that barrel just didnt really like it all that much . Cant wait till some snow melts so I can shoot out to 3 or 400 yds and see what kind of group I can get. Its 40 degrees out and the snow is melting quick today so I might have to put the plow on the ranger and see what I can clear

I got close to 2400 before it went south. Love the round.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.