6-284/107SMK Antelope w/Tyler Sims Outfitters

We were hunting unit 42.
Lot's of goats and some pretty nice ones too. It is all private land so as the season goes on there are more and more goats pushed onto the property.
I just wanted opening day to get first dibs.
I actually passed on the Booner my buddy shot because I knew there were bigger ones out there.
Of course you know how that goes. I shot mine on the last day.
It is 15" with lots of mass and is a "freak" in that his horns look like they stick straight out when he is walking, plus they have a wide spread.

RockLope2.jpg

I did not bed it.
so far it's working out great
it is a very solid stock

I have that identical stock, I thought it would be a good compromise over an H-S Precision or something like that. I had it on my 7RUM last year but I think I burned the bbl out trying to get the 180gr Berger's to shoot. It's been sitting for a bit but since you had good luck I think I'll try it on something else.

Nice buck, btw! I really like the wide ones; they give the illusion of being bigger than they are.

Hicks

I haven't noticed a POI change yet . I usually bed them right away but figured I'd shoot it and see what happened. I still may bed it for piece of mind!

The wide bucks are very interesting. I just got tired of passing them up and it was the last afternoon!

I've always been interested in the 7RUM.
So, is it that bad of a barrel burner?

We were hunting unit 42.
Lot's of goats and some pretty nice ones too. It is all private land so as the season goes on there are more and more goats pushed onto the property.
I just wanted opening day to get first dibs.
I actually passed on the Booner my buddy shot because I knew there were bigger ones out there.
Of course you know how that goes. I shot mine on the last day.
It is 15" with lots of mass and is a "freak" in that his horns look like they stick straight out when he is walking, plus they have a wide spread.

QUOTE]

:)lightbulbI just got back the SCI score for your hunting partner, his scored 81.5 I will enter him in to see if he will win an award at the outfitter conventionlightbulb

We shot two more that were bigger? So it never hurts to keep looking? I have a video crew that wants to film this group hunt next year.

Wow! A great photo, and a truly wonderful shot. I would like to comment however on the cartridge, in the spirit of ebate and discussion:

the .284 didn't make too much of a splash back when it first came out (196XX??), probably because of the existing and ballistically hotter 7 Rem Mag, and also the Winchester 88 and 100s it was initially chambered in.

Nice combos, but not exactly the best for long-range shooting. Horrible triggers, for instance! I remember buying my dad a new Win 88 and I chose the (bohh-rinngggg......) .308. Still, a v. nice deer rifle, and it still shoots into <1" @ 100 yds so...

Meantime, the benchy-boyz decided to neck that .284 up and down, creating the .338-284, the .35-284, even a .375-284!, and then the .223, 243, 257, & 264-(6.5)-284 versions. Of all of them, the 6.5-284 proved the most impressive down-range ballistics and accuracy.

It now holds many many world-class 1000 m target records. And whyzhatt? Well, of course you can always make up a bullet in literally any calibre (sorry: I used to be a Canuck...) to meet some Ballistic Coefficient goal, but the readily available off-the-shelf bulletry comes best equipped in 6.5 and .338 calibres. Not that you couldn't make up a, say, 135 gr .243 bullet, but they are a bit hard to find, right?

As well, the reason the boyz out there case their 6BRs and 6.5-284s when out on those windswept plains is that the sidewind issue is reduced by going to a mucho-heavier slug. Hence, the .338 Lapua (or my .340 Weatherby for that matter) tied onto a railroad-tie gunstock and firing a 300 gr Berger for those 1500 yd matches. But then your shoulder gets to be the loving recipient, and 150 - 200 rounds through your prized Lapua can get a bit tiresomw indeed!

So, your 6-284 must be impressively soft to shoot, which improves your accuracy potential (no flinching), but in the ever-present gusty and highly variable cross winds in antelope valley, I'd bet the 6.5, in a 140 or 150 gr bullet would deliver better performance @ longer ranges (less windage correction) and of course, about 15% or so more energy. Not that you seem to have needed it, huh?

I hope to personally get out there next year with my own long-ragne wonder, a 6.5-06 Ackley, which launches the .264 cal.140 gr pill at about 3230 fps, conservatively. The rifle is one of my own, a modded REM 700 (accurized receiver, Sako extractor, Timney Trigger, 26" stainless [& very smooth!] Douglas medium wt bbl with a QUE adjustable muzzle brake;, NP3 finish, and a Leupold Mk4 with TMR reticle and thumbhole B&C stock: sub -.7" MoA 5 shot groups).

The much bigger question is: is antelope even edible? I hear either 1) it's totally inedible, stinky and tough, or 2) it's wonderful.

Oh-oh: basic disagreement there!

Again, great shooting and photo!

Last edited:
Many good ideas.
Run the numbers for a 107smk @3400fps.
The results are very impressive.
How do they compare to the 6.5,06?
And
Yes I like antelope.

Lol, I hear those stories every year, & to be completely honest, both sides are true. An antelope that has either been wounded or chased all over the range by hunters (thinking public land), can have a remarkable stench, I tend to think it may be adrenaline (sp) induced?

On the other side, as with Rock's 'lope, it was completely relaxed & dropped to a bullet (or 2:D) that it never heard coming. If harvested without running/being chased all over god's country, antelope meat is just fine (I actually had to prove that to my out of staters last year, ID & NY). They were impressed with the quality of meat & are coming back next year!

As to the cartridge debate: My father shoots a 6.5-06 AI w/140's & I shoot a 6-284/107SMK (small world huh?), less recoil on my side & more "pop" on his. Both are remarkably capable of wackin a goat.... I guess i'd have to flip a quarter to decide which one is better at it! A shooter isn't giving up a HUGE amount of BC from 6mm 107/115 to a 6.5-140 bullets & with the velocity advantage of the 6-284 I would tend to think, think I say :D there would be little advantage at the ranges I am capable of harvesting an antelope 750 +/-..... maybe i'll have to get dad to upgrade his optics & duel it out with me this October..... sounds like a good write-up for LRH.COM:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.