55 gr .224 sabot in 300 win mag

mioduz

Maybe I'm foolish expecting more. I loaded up 3 of these today and got 2" group at 50 yards.

Using 55 gr vmax projectiles in 300 wm federal brass with 81 gr Winchester 748

Is this just what I get for being suckered into launching 55 gr projectile at near laser light speeds out of a 300wm platform

Also if this is indication of something else going wrong: the brass is verrry hard to extract from chamber. Bolt handle lifts reasonably easily but takes some serious encouragement to pull back. The primer and case head show no major signs of over pressure.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm foolish expecting more. I loaded up 3 of these today and got 2" group at 50 yards.

Is this just what I get for being suckered into launching 55 gr projectile at near laser light speeds out of a 300wm platform

Also if this is indication of something else going wrong: the brass is verrry hard to extract from chamber. Bolt handle lifts reasonably easily but takes some serious encouragement to pull back. The primer and case head show no major signs of over pressure.

This was tried, with utter failure, many years ago by a couple of ammunition manufacturers.

You can make 'um move fast…..you just can't hit squat with them!

I wish you the best…..but, don't get your hopes too high! memtb

This was tried, with utter failure, many years ago by a couple of ammunition manufacturers.

You can make 'um move fast…..you just can't hit squat with them!

I wish you the best…..but, don't get your hopes too high! memtb
😂 this is true
They do serve a purpose but they will never be very accurate for long distance.
If I could get a load that will have to 2-3" groups at 150-200 yards then that's what I would hope for

A M1A1 Tank fires sabots & it has a smooth bore. And the case is designed much different. Sabots also shoot pretty good out of shotguns with the design they have. A tank has a aft cap in place of the brass. 2 different designs. Not saying they can't be shot out of a rifle. I have seen you doing it quite often with good results. But possibly there is more to look at with these bigger caliber guns. Perhaps like someone else said flat base bullets may help. And possibly changing the way the brass works around the neck tension may be looked at. I wonder how well these would work out of a straight wall cartridge ?

The slap rounds we used to shoot out of the Barrett 50 were accurate and nasty. I never took one apart to see what the bottom half of the projectile looked like.
I would bet that the powder that produced the correct pressure wave is what is needed to be accurate

I would think that if these could be made to perform to a high standard, the ammunition manufacturers could/would have made them work…..their pockets where much deeper for R&D and had greater resources than most of us! Jus Say'n! 😉

OK….I guess that you can call me "Debbie Downer"! 😂😜 memtb