55 gr .224 sabot in 300 win mag

Maybe I'm foolish expecting more. I loaded up 3 of these today and got 2" group at 50 yards.

Using 55 gr vmax projectiles in 300 wm federal brass with 81 gr Winchester 748

Is this just what I get for being suckered into launching 55 gr projectile at near laser light speeds out of a 300wm platform

Also if this is indication of something else going wrong: the brass is verrry hard to extract from chamber. Bolt handle lifts reasonably easily but takes some serious encouragement to pull back. The primer and case head show no major signs of over pressure.
I seem to recall Remington using sabots 40 +/- yrs ago and called it the accelerator. Results were similar I believe

Then about 30 years later Remington made their 20 gauge 260gr copper solids and Accutips, sabots that work out of a Savage 220 rifled barrel shotgun for deer hunting. Accurate to nearly 200 yards or so, same logic about $5 bucks a shot!

Last edited:

Here's a vid of another guys findings. If you're watching with kids I'll give a profanity warning for the video.

This fella hit over 5000 feet per second…but with 6 inch groups at 100 yards 🤣

Still, he has some other vids shooting steel and it's a great visual of why for hard targets speed matters more than energy. Goes through steel like it's butter when much more powerful cartridges do not.

I tried some in .308 and tgey were fast but as others have said, they wern't very accurate. They were so bad in fact, I never shot at anything that was alive! Sometimes I think they didn't even hit the earth! Yep, that bad! I ended up with a .22 CHeetah instead and that thing is a laser!
Cheers,
crkckr