.500 Jeffries necked down to a .30cal any info?

sorry forgot to put in that the vol are with 27 in barrels info come from marty kolbet owner of twisted barrel. he told me as we all know already that the vol increase with the longer you go. and with some checking today federal is making the 500 brass in the african stuff might be cool to see were it goes. being the 7mm fan i'm i asked about doing a big 7 but he has not tried it yet. the other thing we found was there are other rifles aready built on this case in other parts of the world and since the yealy 70's.such as the 338 voschel

He has the distinct possibility of doing something with it. The successful wild cats have a support network in place. with some it was passed around with target shooting circles. One wild cat that I hear about here on LRH is a good choice for some one wanting it simply because it has a good support network behind it. Ive been wild cating for years and probably just picked up where your grandfather left off and made the same things he already made. There is nothing new under the sun but a support network, that's where things start happening. I honestly don't see the 30 going anywhere and the 338 has a chance only because of it's base diameter a shoe in for the Weatherby and LM bolt faces, other than feed and possibly a little extraction attention.

.575 on the 500, .579 on the 338-378 and .588 on the 338 LM. The 500 is only about .030 longer in its origional form. The web thickness can not be included as capacity for the length. The 30-500 is not a 500. We commonly get more or less powder capacity than that .030 by our choice of seating depth an example is the 6.5-284 Norma verses the 6.5-284 Winchester. Shoulder angle and taper an example are the AI cartridges and shorter neck lengths as well - then again the Schuler is the same cartridge but is not the same as the 500. They are all 3 useable in the same action with limited concern. So how is the 500 any bigger of a cartridge than the others when it is no longer a 500. Chamber design is not the cartridge but yet free bore length is a large factor in bullet velocities as well So what is the hooferah about the 500 it is only in name of the parent cartridge - Maybe some would prefer to call their RUM a 338-404 Jeffery or their WSM by the same a 30-404 Jeffery. Over bore capacity has already been met without the need for another cartridge. There are exactly only two choices High pressure which is not a positive attribute or using the powders that are not yet available to the sportsman. The improved cartridges have already met the challenge - the wild cat already wild catted - Grandpa was impressed with the 30-50 BMG until he thought about it for a few seconds

Naw. the point is that many of our cartridges used a large Parent cartridge and they are not their parent cartridge, Just names of identification. If a person wants the fastest I'm pretty sure the 30 -378 still holds the record of over 6000 fps firing a bullet with a funny sounding name. Even Lazzaroni hit a dead end with their Warbird, the same as the wild cat enthusiasts and if adding more gun powder could accomplish any thing it would not be safe. substantial over bore is substantial over bore no matter how much more the powder charge weight is increased - Without a new gunpowder physics hit a dead end years ago in hundreds of small shops across the country without the need for a large sounding parent cartridge. It has good potential in larger diameter bullets which have not been discussed.

A friend of mine, that was a regular here. Shoots a 30-338 LAI, 177 GR.GS ,BC. 638, @ 3680 out of a 30'' Lija, punch that into your ballistic calc. It is a monster

i'm like ken where this case is going to shine is in the 338 and up. when i visited with marty he said they where getting 3500 with 250 hornaday bullets and a 27 in barrel. twisted pig (338 500) should be real cool to play with.

Improved cartridges that have been enlarged for more powder capacity do shoot higher velocities most of the time but not all of the time and very often will not shoot as high a velocity with its lighter bullets than a smaller cartridge of the same caliber. The Pegasus uses basically a beltless 378 cartridge and gets over 3500 fps on a lot shorter barrel with a bullet that is not known in reloading data as a higher velocity manufacturer. The 500 A-Square is an interesting example It is a little more powerful than the 500 Jeffery (75 fps faster with a 65 grain heavier bullet) I don't think that I will find too many cartridges bases off of a 500 A Square because they have the 460 as a parent cartridge. so I am still lost as to why a 500 Jeffery is of any advantage. What can be improved on over other existing cartridges. The 500 Jeffery certainly doesn't have any edge in and in the example above a loss over what many of us already have sitting in our vaults as a parent cartridge.

Don't get too google eyed over a head stamp and take it easy on pressure there is no magic but there are more than a few with life changing injuries. Friends do not let Friends shoot excessive pressures!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts