Necking down 408 cheytac to .338

My reamer is an improved version. Shoulder has been moved forward and has a 35 degree shoulder with .006 per inch body taper. Neck length is .350.

In my opinion I would shotgun powder fireform then as you've moved the shoulder forward, using the method I explained above.
What do you reckon Joel?
Greg

Honestly NZ, I just don't see the need for all the extra work.. Over the years, I have been highly competitive fireforming in the manner in which I have explained in previous posts.
Case in point with one of my rifles chambered in the .338-.408.. I necked down 100 pieces of .408 brass, turned the necks, then annealed them. Did load development while fireforming. Verified load at 750 yards and shot a 3" group. Loaded the rest of the virgin brass and headed to a mile shoot. Spanked out a 3.806" group on paper. Loaded the fireformed brass and shot under 12" groups again.
I do the same with my comp rifles. Turn the necks, add a few brass prep secrets, anneal, and fireform while shooting the match.
I spend allot of time at the bench, so I am intimately familiar with my rifles.
If you are pleased with the results you obtain when you use the shotgun powder, then by all means continue.

Well there you go dj300. Joel says don't bother. Try it and see!
We can't supply a new rifle and brass to a client not fireformed as it just wouldn't look good. But if its your own, the choice is yours!
Greg

I'm in the process of making dies now. I have everything but barrel, waitng on krieger, they said end of July. Rifle will consist of Bat model L 1.650 octagon action, mcmillian mbr stock, 32in. krieger barrel and nf scope 12-42. It will be more of a bench rifle. I will use it for whitetails and ground hogs. Here in N.C. long range shots are a little hard to find, so I'll set up on my portable bench over watching fields and some power lines, and wait on something to show itself. I have a place I can shoot around 1600 to 1700yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.