5.56 NATO reloading help

Ended up making a load with benchmark and the 77tmks, 22gr accuracy was very good, better than I could find with the 69gr tmks
What velocity and barrel length are you shooting? I may end up screwing on a 1-7" Colt barrel on my AR for long range chucks if some 55gr vmax's don't shoot in my 22-250.

What velocity and barrel length are you shooting? I may end up screwing on a 1-7" Colt barrel on my AR for long range chucks if some 55gr vmax's don't shoot in my 22-250.
Haven't checked velocity, I'm thinking 2800fps, but not sure. It's 18.5" barrel I believe. If ur 22-250 is a standard twist, you will need to use the 50gr Vmax, I've never been able to get 55s to shoot worth a darn in a 14twist 22-250 but 50gr Vmax and 34.3gr of h4895, going off memory on charge weight, but my load shoots very well in all 3 of my 22-250s

Haven't checked velocity, I'm thinking 2800fps, but not sure. It's 18.5" barrel I believe. If ur 22-250 is a standard twist, you will need to use the 50gr Vmax, I've never been able to get 55s to shoot worth a darn in a 14twist 22-250 but 50gr Vmax and 34.3gr of h4895, going off memory on charge weight, but my load shoots very well in all 3 of my 22-250s
50 gr vmax keyholed. I pulled the barrel off to screw on a 260 AI barrel on only to find out the threads are oversized. So I screwed the 22-250 barrel back on and while experimenting I found out the barrel shot Berger 55gr Flat based Match really well. It also shoots Nosler 55gr BT. Don't ask me why, I'm guessing the Berger's long bearing surface might be helping. So the 55gr vmax and 55 gr BT's are within 0.006" of each other so I'll try them.

Looks like its already been said but 8208XBR with a 77'ish grain bullet is awesome. Side benefit 8208 is one of Hodgdon's most temp stable rifle powders.

Ah yes, the mythical XBR 8208. Good stuff.

What results are you getting now?
Same here, I have some 8208 that I got like 6-7yrs ago but I'm getting pretty low. Haven't seen it locally since, so I've been using others I can get my hands on.

I did find some CFE223 recently so I am going to give it a whirl under 77smk's. I loading up ladders tonight actually, see how it goes. Seems like people either love or hate it...

It's a little slower than I was expecting, 2600fps, gonna try some 8208 when I find some, but accuracy was good, shot it at 832yards

It's a little slower than I was expecting, 2600fps, gonna try some 8208 when I find some, but accuracy was good, shot it at 832yards
I heard that's a really good powder. It's been 16 years or so but I had good results with both H4895 and TAC with 77gr. But I've read people had good results with 8208.

BTW I tried some flat based 55gr VMAX's in that 22-250. No keyholes but 1.5-2 inch groups. Got some more 55gr Berger Flat Base Match, back to sub moa. Killed rats pretty good so I'll try them of some chucks.

The only issue or non issue with Fed primers is some people have seem dimpling from the firing pin on AR's. That makes some people nervous so they went to harder "AR" primers. I've seen it on my AR loads, but have not had any issues.
When I began reloading for my 223/556 AR's 5-6 years ago I did as I always do and researched extensively before I bought a single die, powder, primer or bullet. I had heard of the term "slam fire" before years ago but paid little attention to it because I didn't reload for semi-auto service rifles or rifles with a free floating firing pin like in AR-15's. AR-10"s, M1A's or M1 Garands etc. Once I heard the term "slam fire" I educated myself of what it was and the cause for it. From what I read (and its been a little while so forgive and correct me if I mispeek here) service rifles like the AR-15, M14, M1 and even 30 cal carbine firing pins do not have a system that essentially captures the firing pin and keeps the firing pin restrained in place until struck by the hammer like in bolt or lever action rifles. So when you release the BCG in a service rifle it slams forward with very considerable force and the free floating firing pin does actually strikes the primer, unlike conventional non service rifle FP's that don't contact the primer until fired.

I LEO I know from my private gun club suggested do this to help me decide if I wanted to use standard SM/RFL primers for my AR/223 reloads. As he suggested while at the range I took a single round of Federal eagle 223/AR-15 specific ammo loaded it in my mag and slammed home the BCG as is SOP and ejected the still live round and examined the primer. It had a very noticeable indent from a less than sufficient primer strike. I did the same thing with my 11-87 and my Ruger PC9 and the primers were untouched.

That was it for me I only use primers suitable for the AR platform of rifles.

I was very disappointed about that experience and then to read multiple expert opinions on reloading for service rifles say using primers suitable for free floating firing pins of service rifles were an absolute must as I owned and still own many 1000s of standard non NATO type small rifle primers. I ended up buying Federal AR-15 specific primers, CCI 400 and CCI 41's. If it were only I shooting my reloads I would likely chance using my Remington RP 7 1/2 sm/rfl but my sons now shoot my AR's as often as I do so Fed AR-15, CCI 400 and 41's it is.

I have met more tan a couple of guys at my private range who shoot long range with very expensive purpose built AR-15's who told me they have used 1000's of standard SM/RFL primers with no issues whatsoever, but I just don't want to chance it.

Any incident involving unintended discharge of a firearm at my private range even if no one is injured posses at least the chances of moderately severe consequences for me.

When I began reloading for my 223/556 AR's 5-6 years ago I did as I always do and researched extensively before I bought a single die, powder, primer or bullet. I had heard of the term "slam fire" before years ago but paid little attention to it because I didn't reload for semi-auto service rifles or rifles with a free floating firing pin like in AR-15's. AR-10"s, M1A's or M1 Garands etc. Once I heard the term "slam fire" I educated myself of what it was and the cause for it. From what I read (and its been a little while so forgive and correct me if I mispeek here) service rifles like the AR-15, M14, M1 and even 30 cal carbine firing pins do not have a system that essentially captures the firing pin and keeps the firing pin restrained in place until struck by the hammer like in bolt or lever action rifles. So when you release the BCG in a service rifle it slams forward with very considerable force and the free floating firing pin does actually strikes the primer, unlike conventional non service rifle FP's that don't contact the primer until fired.

I LEO I know from my private gun club suggested do this to help me decide if I wanted to use standard SM/RFL primers for my AR/223 reloads. As he suggested while at the range I took a single round of Federal eagle 223/AR-15 specific ammo loaded it in my mag and slammed home the BCG as is SOP and ejected the still live round and examined the primer. It had a very noticeable indent from a less than sufficient primer strike. I did the same thing with my 11-87 and my Ruger PC9 and the primers were untouched.

I was very disappointed about that experience and then to read multiple expert opinions on reloading for service rifles say using primers suitable for free floating firing pins of service rifles were an absolute must as I owned and still own many 1000s of standard non NATO type small rifle primers. I ended up buying Federal AR-15 specific primers, CCI 400 and CCI 41's. If it were only I shooting my reloads I would likely chance using my Remington RP 7 1/2 sm/rfl but my sons now shoot my AR's as often as I do so Fed AR-15, CCI 400 and 41's it is.

I have met more tan a couple of guys at my private range who shoot long range with very expensive purpose built AR-15's who told me they have used 1000's of standard SM/RFL primers with no issues whatsoever, but I just don't want to chance it.

Any incident involving unintended discharge of a firearm at my private range even if no one is injured posses at least the chances of moderately severe consequences for me.
Sorry I'm in no mood today. What's your point or question in ten words or less.

I'll say this. I've loaded thousands of rounds in AR's using Fed 205 and have had no issues. I've pesonally seen many connexs filled with American Eagle 223 ammo for LE departments and the ranges I worked I've never personally seen any issues. If you have a problem with them that's okay. You aren't the first or last. But I am fine using them.

Sorry I'm in no mood today. What's your point or question in ten words or less.
To summarize:

Use white box primers or equivalent because service rifles can slam fire.

I'll say this. I've loaded thousands of rounds in AR's using Fed 205 and have had no issues. I've pesonally seen many connexs filled with American Eagle 223 ammo for LE departments and the ranges I worked I've never personally seen any issues. If you have a problem with them that's okay. You aren't the first or last. But I am fine using them.

I've also never had a ND slam fire.

Last edited: