458WM at long range.

Topshot

I own a Delux, 1970's era 458WM CZ and was playing with the idea of shooting the thing at Long range just for fun. It is quite an accurate rifle for a big boomer.

Anyone done any shooting of the .458WM at long range? I would be interested to know what would be the best bullet to try and any other load data.

I have shot various bullets through the rifle from 510 grains down to 350 grains, as well as some 405grain cast bullets. Most shoot very well if I can hang onto the thing.

I have shot a number of deer etc with this rifle and it does put a nice hole in things.:D

I think you biggest problem is getting a good BC bullet. Not sure what is out there, but I know I have looked in the past and there wasn't much.

Tank

I have a Rem 700 Safari in .458WM.
best accuracy with:
Barnes TSX 350grs
77grs H335
COL: 3.307
Fed215GM Primers
Winchester brass

Anyone done any shooting of the .458WM at long range? I would be interested to know what would be the best bullet to try and any other load data.

Sounds like an interesting project. Kind of like something I would do.:)

I think the first thing is to define long range. I spend a long an enjoyable day shooting 22 LR at 500 yards. If a 22 will get there so will the 458.

The process will be the same. Gravity is pretty much constant with the wind being the challenge.

An accurate drop chart along with an accurate LRF I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Also, I've watched the buffalo gunners shoot 500 meters with peep sights and do most probably better than most LRH fellas could do. At least I was intimidated.

Shot placement may be a bit different as the trajectory may be pretty steep as entered the spine and exited the brisket. :)

I"d even consider a decent cast bullet for the purpose.

An accurate drop chart along with an accurate LRF I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Also, I've watched the buffalo gunners shoot 500 meters with peep sights and do most probably better than most LRH fellas could do. At least I was intimidated.

Shot placement may be a bit different as the trajectory may be pretty steep as entered the spine and exited the brisket. :)

I"d even consider a decent cast bullet for the purpose.

Wow Royinidaho, Now you have me thinking!

I have a new Swarvoski Laser Guide, a bunch of Woodleigh 500 grain solids that I would like to use up, (Not too many Elephants in my garden) and a Lyman mould for 405 grain cast bullets that shoot well. I also have a few loaded rounds with 350 grain Hornady's. I can run some numbers through Exbal and see what I am up against.

The trajectory is going to be steep so I will have to work within the adjustment range of my scope or get a rail made up with at least a 40 MOA cant?

The 500 grain solids will put a 45 calibre hole through anything and 405 grain
soft cast pills would be like hitting something with a 12 ga shotgun solid, so I dont think stopping power would be an issue?

Im going out for some long range field practice today so I will take the .458 out with me. I will let you know how it goes!

I own a Delux, 1970's era 458WM CZ and was playing with the idea of shooting the thing at Long range just for fun. It is quite an accurate rifle for a big boomer.

I have shot various bullets through the rifle from 510 grains down to 350 grains, as well as some 405grain cast bullets. Most shoot very well if I can hang onto the thing.

I have shot a number of deer etc with this rifle and it does put a nice hole in things.:D
Try a web search on the Sandy Hook tests of 1879.
You will find that they tested a trapdoor Springfield 45-70 at TWO miles with accuracy and terminal performance.
Your 458 win mag sounds like a fun experiment, you ought to post your results.lightbulb

I'm with Roy and mann1, the first thing I thought was, "Why not? Guys do it with 45-70's all the time."

Well I tested her out yesterday and I had an an interesting time! I went out and sighted it dead on at 200 yards with some 500 grainers, then lasered some dirt out to about 500 yards. I then ran some numbers on my PDA.

I dialed in 20 moa on my old Burris 1.75-5X21 then got down in the dirt and let rip.

A couple of things soon became apparent.

1, When firing a rifle like this prone, without a muzzel brake, a sand bag behind the but is a wonderfull thing.

2, When firing prone it is impossible to spot your own shots land! By the time I recovered from the recoil the bullet had landed, although I could spot the hole in the dirt bank with my spotting scope.

3, I need a scope with bigger optics and more room for adjustment.

4, A set of mounts with 40 MOA cant would be very handy!

I did manage to get some bullets to hit on the target without too much trouble, so I might put a better scope on the rifle and have a go at some longer targets. Also I think some soft cast 405 grain bullets at about 1600 fps would be a lot of fun to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.