TTSX at Long Range?

so are you going to say this is marketing hype too Federal Premium® BULLET BREAKDOWN - YouTube

Yes.

It's interesting and entertaining and has some tidbits of useful information.

But, sticking a block of ballistic gelatin inside a cutout section of a deer dummy is pure marketing hype. ...as are animated bullets flying through the air.

They had one goal in mind when they produced that clip and it was to sell their. ...not to determine the best available bullet for harvesting elk at 900 yds.

-- richard

Yes.

sticking a block of ballistic gelatin inside a cutout section of a deer dummy is pure marketing hype. ...as are animated bullets flying through the air.

They had one goal in mind when they produced that clip and it was to sell their. ...not to determine the best available bullet for harvesting elk at 900 yds.

-- richard

+1 , While watching that I keep waiting for Superman or Under Dog (some here may need to gooogle that) To fly by that bullet and catch it in his teeth. :D

Jeff

[...]Elevation calcs are a given within the accuracy of your skill, your rifle, and ammo. Wind drift is a whole different matter. If I miss calculate it will most likely be in wind drift. [...]

Jeff -

Never mind terminal ballistics.

Are there any experienced long rangers who would disagree with that statement?

-- richard

Elk hind 1/4 bone at 200.Left side shot w/300 otm,grenaded bone and blew the hole works threw a softball sized hole in 1/2 osb backstop.Right side a 325 wsm,200 NAB,I put the lower piece back for picture,you can see where it broke off.

Attachments

• elk bone shot.jpg
    elk bone shot.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 101
Great post...we have been using the barnes TTSX bullets exclusively the past 4 seasons....taken Antelope, Elk, Mule & Coues deer& Oryx with them in my 30-378 and have only recovered two bullets, one with the petals blown off and one with limited expansion, but all with deadly results.

Personally, I find them very accurate if seated a little deeper off the lands...the only downside I can see is the copper fouling.

I have also shot both the 210 and 230 gr Bergers, but have not taken any game with them.

I did a test earlier this year to field verif wind drift and the berger 230gr OTM vs my go to loads of the 180gr TTSX and 200gr LRX Barnes bullets here:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/lets-shoot-wind-new-230gr-bergers-work-85035/

There certainly is no magic Bullet, but all used within their design paramaters are usually adequate.

Cwinner did the 168 grain ttsx from the 30-06 hit any bone? That looks like great expansion. It has a wide, flat front and alot of shank to drive it in deep.

so are you going to say this is marketing hype too..../QUOTE]

Barnesuser, I'd say that video is a great summary to what I've already stated, Barnes bullets were designed to break bones & penetrate as proven by the video. If we are still having the hydraulic shock discussion, Barnes again, were beaten in that catergory. I've loaded, shot & observed more Barnes than a lot of folks (less than others:rolleyes:) & to be honest, I still shoot Barnes bullets.

But with the Bergers at long range a shoulder hit is not a problem either. The Berger will also penetrate the shoulder, and the farther the shot the more penetration you will have. With in reasonable distances of course like 1500 and back, maybe farther. So you have a wider margin to get into the vitals. Elevation calcs are a given within the accuracy of your skill, your rifle, and ammo. Wind drift is a whole different matter. If I miss calculate it will most likely be in wind drift. So I will take the most accurate bullet with the highest BC that will work at long range anywhere in the vital area. Seen it and done it. This is why I choose the Bergers.

Jeff

Jeff, has you seen any difference in bullet weight vs penetration? Say a 7mm 140VLD in a RM or STW vs the more popular (by far) 168 or 180 as far a penetration goes on that shoulder shot? In honesty, it make me cringe, but I don't have much experience with Berger (understatement of the century).

How does it compare to the Accubond at extended ranges. Thinking of trying the 120 or 150 grain in a 7 STW for elk. Thanks in advance.

I would pick the TTSX with your 7STW for Elk. You will not be disappointed! I shoot a 338 LAI but that is a whole different ball game and a different discussion :cool:.

Oh yea, I think this whole thread is funnier than the video posted!

Jeff, has you seen any difference in bullet weight vs penetration? Say a 7mm 140VLD in a RM or STW vs the more popular (by far) 168 or 180 as far a penetration goes on that shoulder shot? In honesty, it make me cringe, but I don't have much experience with Berger (understatement of the century).

I can not say I have for sure with a 7mm. But here is what happens with the 300 win and the 338 LM. I use the large weight offerings for these reasons. It is a fact the Berger will open and open fast and send off fragments into the vitals. But the longer the shot the less it spills off. You want the large bullets so after the fragments leave you have a good sized slug to carry on through leaving a large wound channel. The BC and wind bucking capabilities just help you get it in the vital zone. Most all my shots make complete pass throughs. Even at 1000 yards. The smallest exit at long range I have ever gotten was about 1 1/4 " and 1 1/2" is typical. I have never caught both shoulders at 1000, but I have one and the bull dropped and nver kicked. I hear all this talk about limited penetration with Bergers. But I have never seen it. But I shoot big rifles with big bullets. Works for me.

Jeff

I can not say I have for sure with a 7mm. But here is what happens with the 300 win and the 338 LM. I use the large weight offerings for these reasons. It is a fact the Berger will open and open fast and send off fragments into the vitals. But the longer the shot the less it spills off. You want the large bullets so after the fragments leave you have a good sized slug to carry on through leaving a large wound channel. The BC and wind bucking capabilities just help you get it in the vital zone. Most all my shots make complete pass throughs. Even at 1000 yards. The smallest exit at long range I have ever gotten was about 1 1/4 " and 1 1/2" is typical. I have never caught both shoulders at 1000, but I have one and the bull dropped and nver kicked. I hear all this talk about limited penetration with Bergers. But I have never seen it. But I shoot big rifles with big bullets. Works for me.

Jeff

I understand what you're sayin, as you have in many, many posts :rolleyes:. I do believe the heavy for caliber bullets will work well, as stated in my dissertation a page or two back.:) My thought process (as of late) leads me to believe that the heavies offer two distinct advantages, BC & enough weight retention after the fragmentation phase to reliably peneterate. A different thought process than I held this time last year, I can tell you that lol I guess that's what brings us all here.

I would pick the TTSX with your 7STW for Elk. You will not be disappointed! I shoot a 338 LAI but that is a whole different ball game and a different discussion :cool:.

Or perhaps the 145 LRX?? Better BC than the 120 or the 150 which will win in the wind & maybe a little more velocity.... Just food for thought:D

Cwinner did the 168 grain ttsx from the 30-06 hit any bone? That looks like great expansion. It has a wide, flat front and alot of shank to drive it in deep.

That particular shot did not hit any bone, but it drove all the way from behind the last rib to the chest ( under the skin) of a big mule deer at 500 yds quartering away, from my sons 30-06. Muzzle velocity right about 3000fps at the start. I was watching throught he spotter and the trace was amazing!! I wish I had a video camera on that one.

As for the 7mm TTSX bullets, I have tried both the 140gr and 120 gr ones in my 284win......the 140's eat up a lot of case capacity so I have been using the 120gr ones.......I use this rifle for backpack hunts now as its a lot lighter and took a nice coues buck just over 400yds quartering away with the 120TTSX. I was hoping to recover the bullet, but all I got was a dead deer:). The bullet had exited.

I keep thinking of using the Bergers as I have proved to myself the high BC is better for long range in the wind, but have not had the guts to change. I defeniately agree that a person is better off with the heaver for caliber bullets, they just don't make sense in my 284, but I love the 200+weights in the wby.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.