45 ACP on Brown Bear.????

It can bluff charge in to my spray or my rifle scope
I've had plenty bluff charges and teeth poppin stand offs with blacky. Never felt a fear that prompted a draw. As far as I'm concerned, there's will be no such thing as a bluff when it comes to brown fuzzy, If it's comin at me, it's very real.
I've turned buck a few times with hair standing on neck
The only time my hair standing on neck for me was with big kitty. 2 hours before daylight in thick timber headed to elk ground with bow in hand, I stumbled upon a covered fawn kill. Then came the "smell".

When returnin before dark that evening , found his tracks in my tracks.

Started walking backwards after that.

44 Grizzly bear attacks worldwide per year. Over half of the attacks involved hiking, jogging, hunting, camping, fishing, foraging. Another 24% occurred with outdoor work related activities like logging, farming, and other outdoor related jobs. Only 22% of all attacks were recorded during official bear hunts! Carry whatever 45 ACP that works well for you, sleep better at nite, nearly zero chance you'll ever need it, for a bear attack.

44 Grizzly bear attacks worldwide per year. Over half of the attacks involved hiking, jogging, hunting, camping, fishing, foraging. Another 24% occurred with outdoor work related activities like logging, farming, and other outdoor related jobs. Only 22% of all attacks were recorded during official bear hunts! Carry whatever 45 ACP that works well for you, sleep better at nite, nearly zero chance you'll ever need it, for a bear attack.
While that's true, most never win the lottery but some do. With my luck, thats my lottery.

While that's true, most never win the lottery but some do. With my luck, thats my lottery.
I don't like flying in commercial airplanes either. I know there is mo
I carried a 4" M29 stoked with 300 gr wide metplat hardcast bullets in Alaska. I gave that revolver to a friend so now I'd carry my 4" 686 or G23 as a sidearm and my 45-70 as my primary.

Edit: I forgot to add this Phil Shoemaker article. https://www.wideopenspaces.com/alaska-man-kills-charging-brown-bear-with-a-9mm-pistol/
I've read that story a dozen times. He had an angel with him that day

Stuff the bear pistol needs. Crimson Trace pro Rail, LED and a laser, add the Tritium sights front and rear. A guy used to have to bolt a Dawson rail on the dust cover of ur 1911. Then Kimber made those Warriors, cause the mostly bad stuff ( Hungry Bears, Mountain Lions, Crime, Rabid coyotes) are out night traveling . Glocks have had a rail, cause they're not as old as 1911's. Can't hit what ya can't see.

Last edited:
I've had beers with Phil Shoemaker on Kodiak. I know his son well. No one here should do anything any of the Shoemakers do, they are EXPERTS, you are not.

Lots of theories here, not a lot of experience.

I hunt Kodiak often; I have a very healthy respect for the bears there. Anyone who does not has not been in their presence.

Any rifle is always better than a pistol.

When I go to Kodiak with my bow or flintlock, I take my 1911 in 46 Rowland.

IMG_6145.jpeg

The best thing about this platform is it allows you to practice 99% of the time with standard 45ACP and they are a pussycat with that setup.

I've had beers with Phil Shoemaker on Kodiak. I know his son well. No one here should do anything any of the Shoemakers do, they are EXPERTS, you are not.

I hunt Kodiak often; I have a very healthy respect for the bears there. Anyone who does not has not been in their presence.

Any rifle is always better than a pistol.

When I go to Kodiak with my bow or flintlock, I take my 1911 in 46 Rowland.

View attachment 465291

The best thing about this platform is it allows you to practice 99% of the time with standard 45ACP and they are a pussycat with that setup.
I think we could go on and on about cartridges conversions and whatnot for pistols for bears. Personally I think you're undergunned with the 9 mm. In the autoloader the 10 mm and many 45s would get it done and all the big bore wheel guns will work. I think proficiency with the pistol means more

I definitely fall in that category, in regards to griz.
I take my 1911 in 46 Rowland.
Beautiful 1911. Love shooting my SA 1911 Rowland. I'm curious as to your reasoning for picking the 1911 over the glock. My simple mind gravitated go the glock for almost double the capacity. Since which, I've became far more confident in hitting my target with it. I do admit, the 1911 is a pussycat as far as recoil goes, so getting back on target my be a tad quicker.