45 ACP on Brown Bear.????

I've never had to shoot a charging bear.

Where I'm at the issue is interior grizzlies, and some have been in trouble more than once judging by the ear tags.

IMHO, a pistol is the last desperate attempt at saving yourself. If you know it's likely you'll have to deal with a bear issue, you should have a plan to deal with it appropriately.

I've never had to shoot a charging bear.

Where I'm at the issue is interior grizzlies, and some have been in trouble more than once judging by the ear tags.

IMHO, a pistol is the last desperate attempt at saving yourself. If you know it's likely you'll have to deal with a bear issue, you should have a plan to deal with it appropriately.
I really prefer a shotgun stoked with slugs. Short semi auto preferably

I could see where if you didn't train from shooting from your back it would be easy to shoot your foot or leg. A bear getting ready to maul you could be a distraction from the front sight lol. I agree a pistol is last ditch. I posted the Phil shoemaker article as an example. If a 9mm is all you have this work once. I'd want larger, but that's secondary to a rifle.

I really prefer a shotgun stoked with slugs. Short semi auto preferably
A shotgun is good too if I could keep the shells from getting too wet. I prefer a good pump 870. My 1895 Marlin 45-70 seemed to be a good choice for the camp's bear rifle when I took it. However good slick bolt action works well too. With practice it's amazing how fast you can work a bolt. Take what you trust.

A shotgun is good too if I could keep the shells from getting too wet. I prefer a good pump 870. My 1895 Marlin 45-70 seemed to be a good choice for the camp's bear rifle when I took it. However good slick bolt action works well too. With practice it's amazing how fast you can work a bolt. Take what you trust.
Yep the 45-70 is another great option. Considered picking up there newer Alaskan 50 for a Western camp gun as well. Something about a 12 gauge slug gun that just makes me feel warm and comfy tho.

Yep the 45-70 is another great option. Considered picking up there newer Alaskan 50 for a Western camp gun as well. Something about a 12 gauge slug gun that just makes me feel warm and comfy tho.
I've been looking at getting a shorter Henry of Marlin in 45-70 to carry for pack outs during archery season. Not sure what a game warden would think if I was making extra trips back to the truck with a load and only had the rifle though.

I've been looking at getting a shorter Henry of Marlin in 45-70 to carry for pack outs during archery season. Not sure what a game warden would think if I was making extra trips back to the truck with a load and only had the rifle though.
Depends if the tags were filled or not. Being a LE guy myself, looking at all the facts and intent combined, means more than the optics of it. Who Carry's a 45-70 to hunt deer/elk/ goats in the mountains or even out west ? I look at it the same as carrying a shotgun.

You might have a hard case to make with G&F if you start putting rounds into a bear any further away than that.
And there lies 1 of 2 arguments for a revolver over auto😉. No jams is number 2.
I could see where if you didn't train from shooting from your back it would be easy to shoot your foot or leg.
I'd be glad to shoot my foot,,,,, if it was in his mouth!

No jams is number 2.
I agree that a revolver is typically a more reliable option, however, I've never had a jam in any of my "defensive" semi-auto handguns. I certainly wouldn't be carrying something that I didn't have total faith in. For me, my 10mm has never jammed, maybe I keep in clean. I do also have a 44 Mag revolver that I bought to carry for bear protection too. My 329PD is a lot lighter than the XDm10 and it goes with me when I'm also carrying a rifle, whereas the 10mm comes with me when I'm carrying only my bow.

watched recent videos on charging bear..... he used a 10mm....
wondered if anyone uses or has had or experience with a 45 acp for self protection...???
I successful defense doesn't make it the best choice, I have in the safe a 454, 44, 10mm, and a 45ACP. The last gun I would carry into bear country is the 45ACP. I'm in grizzly country here in Wyo dozens of times each year and it's always the 454 or 44 that is with me. Loaded with Extreme Defender rounds.