45/70 Marlin Guide Gun & 300gr.lead bullets

Waynard

Anyone have good loads for target practice and "hunting" using 300 grain lead bullets. I'm looking for powder and primers that would work. Muzzle velocity from the 18 inch ported barrel.

Anyone have good loads for target practice and "hunting" using 300 grain lead bullets. I'm looking for powder and primers that would work. Muzzle velocity from the 18 inch ported barrel.

I'd actually think you'd be better off with the 350 grain bullet from Hornaday, or the 400 grain bullet from Speer. These two bullets will work better in the velocities you going to see. Do expect some serious recoil, but a down loaded round in the 1750fps to 1800fps won't be quite as bad. I have the same rifle in the .450, and it's a beast with the 350 grain bullets, but wouldn't even consider the 300 grain bullets. My goal is a workable load using the 400 grain Speers.
gary

It all depends on what velocity you want and what you plan on hunting. A 350 cast bullet in the 1400 to 1500 fps will be pretty mild as far as 45-70 goes and it will shoot through from any direction any deer that ever left a hoof print in the mud easily out to 200 yards. Check out the Accurate powders load data for XMP 5744. This powder has shot great for me with cast bullets. 28 grs with the Lyman 405 flat nose which comes out of my mold at 418 grs from wheel weights does 1400 fps from my 28" Sharps 45-70 which is about the same velocity as a case full of black powder does. Be aware that MOST of the bulk cast bullets on the market are HARD. They do not expand much if any and will drill a hole clean through most game. Unless you hit something in the CNS like the spine a deer will run off a ways and lots of times they don't leave a good blood trail because the hide stretches with bullet entering and exiting and then snaps back and plugs the blood flow. If you do not what to have to track a deer much if any get you some 300 gr Sierra HP and use a max load of IMR 4198. If it is not dropped in it's tracks then Ray Charles could follow the blood trail. :D

I shoot a 340 grain lead bullet I cast myself from wheel weights over the lightest charge of Varget powder. Like mentioned above, not a lot of expansion but still leaves a good size hole.

my .450 has the ported barrel, and have not even considered a cast lead bullet. Plus the velocities are a little too high for cast bullets. Anyway, from past experience I've kind of learned that 1700 fps is about it for lead (Linotype and Lyman #2). Unless your using hand gun bullets at those velocities, I doubt you'll see a lot of bullet expansion. I use solid bullets in all my big bore rifles, but cast lead works well. Just never enjoyed the task of cleaning lead out of barrels much
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.