45-70 Bullets Keyholing

Yep, sure is possible on the under size bushing .458 to .452" thing. My brother is using a 45 cal. pistol sizer to re-size 400 grain cast for his 460 s&w pistol. They shoot wonderfully out of the pistol; just take roughly enough H110 to shoot two 357's and you are good to go.

I really suspect it's either a bullet diameter issue or the bullet is being driven too hard for the alloy and she's going nutz after the barrel leads a bit.

Is the bullet even getting to the target, or are the bullets bouncing in?? I had that with the 405 with 4895 (and its bad grouping); a few bullets hit low and bounced in causing a keyhole in the target.

several years back I made a set of multistage punches for a well known bullet maker out of A2 that was full hardened. Everything was oddball in size and even shape. He later showed me a 70 grain .223 bullet that looked like it was well over an inch long! He took a 70 grain .243 bullet and shrank it in size, and then reshaped the base and ogive a little bit. Shot them thru a 1:7 twist barrel from a well known barrel maker, and got bug holes. So I know there is a way to shrink bullet OD's, and bet it would be easy with cast lead bullets. Bullets were shot out of a modded 22BR case that was intended for four hundred and beyond yards.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts