Adding diameter to 45-70 bullets (to .4595)?

So most 45-70's are in the .450-.458 dimensions, some do come bigger like yours. The copper bullets are hard enough to grab the rifling and not strip or get gas cutting. Therefore you need a custom mold to make the correct dia bullet needed for accuracy in lead bullets. There are a few very good mold makers out there, Buffalo Arms, has LOTS of different designs and if you find one that you like but not the dia you need just call and have them change it to what you need. Brooks trubore bullet molds is another very good mold, he as well can make you a mold to what size you need. Just give either a call and they will set you up. Then there is the lubersizer, RCBS, Lyman, Lee, Magma, will all work, I like the RCBS. Then the dies to go along with the sizer, lube and if you so choose, gas checks. Its an investment but if you shoot a lot it will pay for its self pretty quick these days!!

Are you getting really bad leading? lube has a lot to do with accuracy in lead bullets as well. If you are getting leading you accuracy will drop off very quickly. My recommendation would be to "slug" your barrel and find the true size then call one of the mold maker I wrote about with those numbers.

As for lube, "Felix lube" has been my go to lube for a few years and it has worked in all 4 of my 45-70's, 10mm, 44mas, 41mag, 32-40, 38-55, 40-82, 40-70, 44-70, 40-65, 45-90, 45-100. it takes a bit to make but it works very well.

Matt

Sorry to hear that they failed to powder coat.....I'm glad I didn't have money "riding" on that! I was pretty certain it would work for you!

I know that over on the CastBoolit forum, there is lots of conversation pertaining to types/manufacturers of powder coating. I know that the "general consensus" is do not use powders from Harbor Freight.....though, some seem to have had success.

I got mine from Powder by the Pound!

Here is a link from the CastBoolits forum, that may be of interest! memtb

Try " beartooth bullets ", order them .460 Dia. Remember your not going to get jacketed bullet velocity with cast bullets unless your using a very hard cast lead. I've always had good luck with both accuracy and no leading using the starting jacketed bullet load data. Anywhere from 1500-1900 fps or so. You dont need high velocity with a big metplat bullet to kill with cast.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.