.45-70 Grizz Defense

I have found black bears on the edge of the country claimed by the grizzlies. The honey colored black bear was a big exception, something I never expected. It was big enough to maybe hold its own with a smaller grizzly, but it was treading in very dangerous territory.

Where I hunt, I always assume any bear is a grizzly until proven otherwise. Usually it is just what you think it is.

WyoWind
"We" know. Thanks Wyo. Talk soon .

Last edited:
Since I was up close and personal with a grizz some years ago I always worried about them but here is a guy that got attacked by the elk he shot with a bow:

Seeing that you are archery hunting and want a firearm for bear defense, a defender shotgun with buck shot and slugs is the correct answer.

Good luck on the archery elk hunt :)
Not to argue, but I tested the old tried and true 12 gauge Federal slug and had 5 or 6-gallon water jugs lined up. The slug flattened out like I smashed it with a hammer and only penetrated 3 jugs of water. That's no bone, no hair, no muscle, so I know I won't be depending on it if I was looking for a frontal bear stopping round. Not after seeing the test results anyway.
Here's the slug I shot into the water jugs.
1657375291296.png

Last edited:
I lived in Alaska for over 30 years before starting the snowbird thing. Never had a real full on charge from a brown bear. Had a couple bluff charges ( that ended in neither of us getting killed) . Also had a couple that just got ****y and circled me doing the low growl thing. I probably got close to a kill or something and didn't know it. Those two ended up shot. Had one full on black bear charge and was carrying that marlin. Was running supplies back to a camp for an upcoming moose hunt. I was riding my horse and had two strung behind me. Had a black lab zipping in and out of the brush looking for birds. I seen what I thought was the black dog up around the bend running towards me, then realized that the dog was actually right in front of the horse. I thought we'll if your here, who is that? Then the realization popped in that it was a large black bear running at me. The horse stopped as I was pulling the rifle from the scabbard. I cocked the hammer and pulled my feet from the stirrups, figuring I was going to be ejected when i pilled the trigger. Bear hit the 20 yard line and I pulled the trigger…… well the horse stood dead still to my amazement, and the bear cartwheeled about 2-3 times then went sideways into tall grass. I got off the horse, snuck up to that spot, and found the bear doing his last breaths right where he disappeared.

That marlin points and shoots much like a shotgun to me…..and I have a lot of confidence with it. Which is why it's with me a lot.
You take good care of that horse. It's a life saver for sure!!!!??

Bear spray is fine, but, if you have a rifle, I'd grab it first. There is zero time to get your rifle if the bear spray doesn't work. And sometimes, it doesn't.

Bear spray has its time and place. When you can't legally carry a gun, or people who aren't proficient with a gun.

Two thoughts (I'm calling it a "he" even though a sow w cubs is likely more dangerous)

1. If you are within Bear spray range, you are in trouble with a Grizzly. He can be on you in about 1-2 seconds at that range. Deal with the legal ramifications of defending your life if it comes down to it.

2. Warning shots often work. A Grizzly at 50-75 yards is a danger, especially if he exhibits signs of aggression. He can close that distance surprisingly fast. A shot into the ground before a charge is a very reasonable option, given sufficient distance to allow time to rechamber and prepare for the charge.

Just my thoughts.

In dense timber I would op for a hand gun something more manuverable in tight spaces, either 44 mag with buffalo bore ammo or a 460 rowland. There is a great conversionfor a glock 21. At least add to spotter for backup to 45-70

I Remember reading that. Sad. Makes you think . Even a wouded buck can kill you. A guy I worked with, his dad lived in Co.. He had a big Muley buck and doe and a 6 pt..bull and cow in separate chain link inclosures . I don't know if he bred them or not or what the deal was. I never asked. Was about 30 yrs ago. He showed me pictures of them so I know it was true. The buck was a big non typical. His dad he said was 6'2" 220 lbs. One day the buck had it's antlers caught in chain link. He went into the enclosure to try to get unstuck. He did and the buck turned and gored him picked him up and slammed him down in the pond and held him under the water until he stopped fighting . Then the buck let off him. It punctured his intestines in two places. He wasn't mad at the buck he was mad it himself because he knew the buck was in rut and should of cut parts of antler off that was stuck in chain link from outside. I knew the guys mom who told the story . They were divorced but I worked with her for 7 yrs.. She said it was true and very scary. She took him to hospital. I'm guessing by photo the buck weighed at least 250 lbs. Worked him look like a rag doll. It's neck was swollen and full of muscle so I knew it was in the rut. I can imagine what a bull elk could do to you 😳

Last edited:
Bear spray is fine, but, if you have a rifle, I'd grab it first. There is zero time to get your rifle if the bear spray doesn't work. And sometimes, it doesn't.

Bear spray has its time and place. When you can't legally carry a gun, or people who aren't proficient with a gun.

Two thoughts (I'm calling it a "he" even though a sow w cubs is likely more dangerous)

1. If you are within Bear spray range, you are in trouble with a Grizzly. He can be on you in about 1-2 seconds at that range. Deal with the legal ramifications of defending your life if it comes down to it.

2. Warning shots often work. A Grizzly at 50-75 yards is a danger, especially if he exhibits signs of aggression. He can close that distance surprisingly fast. A shot into the ground before a charge is a very reasonable option, given sufficient distance to allow time to rechamber and prepare for the charge.

Just my thoughts.
Me, I carry spray, pistol and rifle and depending on where I'm Hunting my dog also. He stays by me. Never more than 5 yds. from me. If he gets any further I call him back or snap fingers . I take him in North Fork areas for sure . He hears and sees things before I do. I'm deaf in left ear. Not so good in right. Vision is good.
Only thing I worry about is which to use first ! I always figured if I had time I'd shoot one shot with rifle then grab pistol. My mind isn't trained to grab bear spray. It could get me and dog or wind blowing at me ( hunt into wind :). It's different when you hunt off and on from Sept.1 to Dec. 21 for deer and elk. Your chances odds are much greater to run into Grizz than a non resident coming out to hunt for a week. I saw them when I was a non resident hunting here for 22 yrs. Have a couple stories but never and problems. Have seen them since but have never bumped into one in the woods yet thank God. I just don't want to run into one that is on a kill or somebody's kill or a sow with cubs 😳 I too would fire a warning shot at bear if just standing there looking at me. And real close to him... If it left. I'd turn around and leave. Looking behind me a lot ! Two years ago I had a scarey incounter coming back out of a canyon where a buddy shot a nice buck the week before. Followed a big set of griz tracks the whole way that were coming out of canyon. I knew it had found buddy's kill. It gave me the creeps. Glad I had my dog. I had bear spray and dog. But no pistol. All the way up and out of that canyon I told myself never again will I hunt North Fork or any area near it without a pistol. And I haven't yet. I'm just glad I had my dog that day. I told the story in one of the MANY bear threads here.
Sorry OP

Last edited: