4350 Powders

When those rifles were made IMR 4350 was the slowest powder available. Some military surplus 4831 became available in 1975 and that was replaced with IMR-4831 and H-4831. When I started reloading 40 years ago there weren't many choices but even then I relied on 3 DuPont IMR rifle powders (4064, 4350, and 4831) they served me well for at least 15-years. Today's Reloader has a lot more choices and you should try those recommendations above because although one size may fit all…some will fit better. I have expanded my rifle Powder inventory from 3 to over 25.

I use one rule in selecting powders. That is one I read in my way distant youth, "All rifles are laws unto themselves>" What works in one may not perform as well in the exact same rifle. I learned that when developing my loads for my custom 25-06. It loves h4350, IMR 4350 not so much. Same for projectiles. Primers not so much except when using a lot of very slow powder in a large capacity case, then I use magnum primers. I start with the lowest loads found in reputable manuals and rarely use someone "GOTO loads without checking against the manuals. I did violate that rule in my 44 mags, I use Elmer ZKeiths load of 22 gr of 2400. Since he helped develop the loads and the revolvers for them, I accepted his expertise as "gospel".

I live in Ga.we have a long deer season, opening day can be a scorcher. I have been reloading since I was 15 now 72, still learning. Back then I loaded for 22-250, 270, 243. I have never had a problem with pressure used 4350, 4320 4831 4350, 4895 on and on. These new powders that are not so heat sensitive fasinate me and I know very little about them. I however intend to start using them in my 7mag, 300 win mag when supply improves.

I live in Ga.we have a long deer season, opening day can be a scorcher. I have been reloading since I was 15 now 72, still learning. Back then I loaded for 22-250, 270, 243. I have never had a problem with pressure used 4350, 4320 4831 4350, 4895 on and on. These new powders that are not so heat sensitive fasinate me and I know very little about them. I however intend to start using them in my 7mag, 300 win mag when supply improves.
I'm the same age and have been loading just as long as you. The old standby powder for me was IMR 4320, in those same calibers.
Still love it. Old Bob Foker that wrote for Guns & Ammo said it was the most accurate powder when he worked up loads for the 300WSM

Regarding case fill and using one powder... Yes. Case fill % is naturally different for most case size for caliber ratio and burn rate of said powder. However... OP asked which, if any, can be loaded in several cartridges while in short supply. I've found that with H4350, loads can be developed in several calibers and used safely and accurately. True...They don't all reach max potential on X and Y intersection of velocity/accuracy graph but are quite usable if developed with care, common sense and attention to limitation.
Yet... its always good to have the best powder for each cartridge if that were always possible.

1st problem I have with everybody worried about velocity velocity doesn't give you better accuracy you have to learn that the fact is how accurate the rifle is doesn't matter how fast the bullet is flying as long as it hits the target consistently in the same spot I have a Walmart special to 70 my brother bought on clearance for $86 I'm running 52 grains of IMR4831 I have consistently put round less than a 1/2 an inch MOA

1st problem I have with everybody worried about velocity velocity doesn't give you better accuracy you have to learn that the fact is how accurate the rifle is doesn't matter how fast the bullet is flying as long as it hits the target consistently in the same spot I have a Walmart special to 70 my brother bought on clearance for $86 I'm running 52 grains of IMR4831 I have consistently put round less than a 1/2 an inch MOA

I don't know anybody that is concerned with velocity alone. I seek to achieve the highest velocity with the highest accuracy in my handloads, since the V squared component of kinetic energy, contributes greatly to effective kills.

dgkypke: "Toss on the next challenge: wanting to get exclusive with hammer bullets because of CA. so load development is even less available…"

I'd bet you've already checked out the Hammer bullet forum for info, so I'd advise you to reach out to Steve. He'll get you in the right direction. His advice to me was to paraphrase, "use a lighter bullet than you'd think and faster powders seem to work better than some slower ones you might be used to. The Hammers punch above their weight class". I previously used H4350 in my '06, 6.5CM, and 7-08. On his advice, I used Varget in the CM & 7-08 w/ 124g/131g HH respectively and found better velocities and groups. Good luck w/ the new journey.

Of many suggestions the IMR4350 is accurate but affected by temperature swings.
R17 is less sensitive to temperature but not as stable as H4350. R17 typically gives 50+fps over H4350.

Some of your cartridges have large capacity to bore, so you might want to consider Winchester's new temperature stable StaBall6.5. It packs two or three more grains of powder into a case and seems minutely slower burning than H4350 in my rifles.

R17 is less sensitive to temperature but not as stable as H4350. R17 typically gives 50+fps over H4350.
I think you better look at RL17 again, all the old Alliant powders are about 1.5 fps per 1 deg. Its why I quite using 17 long ago. The new alliance are way better. I think I've seen IMR at .67 which isn't really that bad in the IMR line.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210705-151851_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210705-151851_Google.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 82
I used try to optimize the best rifle powder for each cartridge. Ten years ago I started loading everyting with H4350 or H1000, just to simplify. Happy I did.
Ditto. While I keep H4831sc for my 300wm and 300SAUM, about everything else fits into H4350 or H1000. If I could only have two rifle powder they'd be it.

If you live in an area and hunt in an area where temperature extremes during hunting season you'd be a fool you ignore temperature sensitivity, in my opinion. The temperature in South Dakota could be in the upper 80's or 40 some below and I hunted at both extremes. It's not just about accuracy! It is also about sky rocketing pressures in high temperatures. Some powders are quite temperature sensitive, in particular, the early WW ball powders. I have had issues with 785, 760 and with 748. Hodgdon has some identical ball powders as the WW ball powders. Years ago I had a WW785 load in my 300 Win Mag that was quite accurate during testing and when I took it out the temperature was close to 100. The case froze in the chamber, I had to take it back to the shop to get the bolt open and the case out. That could have been a ruined hunt. In a poorer action it could have meant a lost eye - I use shooting glasses ever since that incident. WW760 and WW748 are as bad, in my opinion.
But IMR4350 is not too bad as far as temperature sensitivity, at least I've not noticed it. I have IMR4350, H4350, AA4350 and IMR4451 on hand. Of those, if I were starting out with one powder, I'd probably go with IMR4451, or perhaps H4350. Having said that I've used IMR4350 since the early 60's without a problem. I still use it. I have not played with AA4350 to have an opinion..

The 264WM will not like any of the 4350 powders, it is most accurate with slow powders run at near max pressure.
Suitable powders are RE25, H1000, Retumbo, N565 & N570.
4350 will make a bang and send bullets down range, but using 4350 will be slow and may not give you the accuracy potential.
The 338RUM won't like it either due to low load density, just as the 264WM won't.
I would not recommend these powders in either cartridge.

Cheers.