4350 Powders

I agree. You can get away with H4350 in 30-06 and 300 Win Mag because of bore diameter.
Big case 6.5's will reach pressure before getting desired velocity.
7's are a bit more forgiving... again due to slightly larger bore diameter.
I also agree to have IMR 7977 or H1000 on hand for those magnum cartridges with heavier bullets.

Do you have your grandfathers loading notes, great selection of rifles. Back in his day there wasn't the vast amount of powders available to people, just to open yourself up check out Ammo Guide, they have thousands of loads listed for almost every rifle. It will give you some insight to the possible powders available. One has to remember you can't change the riffling to get more velocity, it's about hitting what your shooting at. A slower moving bullet does more damage. Lots of luck with your research
Dang right!😅

Theres abig difference in hunting season Temps on the east and west cost vrs the Rocky Mtn states. One day it could be 50 deg. 2 days latter -10 below. Alot of powders can have 1 deg per 1 fps or more difference so that can be 50-60 fps difference that can easily get you in an over pressure situation or crip an animal,
I'll stick with stable powders.
Are you saying the 4450's are/could be unstable? Hmmmm

"Am I totally wrong wanting to try to use one powder for all? All of the belted calibers listed, Lymans say the IMR 4350 propellant is very accurate. Toss on the next challenge: wanting to get exclusive with hammer bullets because of CA. so load development is even less available…
Ideas? Thoughts?"

No, nothing wrong with that thinking at all. The "4350" is a versatile burn rate, whether it's IMR, H or AA. I have used all of these at one time or another. The deer, bear, coyotes, crows, ground hogs and hogs never knew what propelled that bullet that either terminated them or scared (I do miss!) the be-Jesus out of them.

Some of my best accuracy, in several cartridges, has been with IMR4350. It rocks. Including some you mentioned. I love that powder, but "A man's just got to know his limitations". Use it as a tool or be used as a tool. Work up to your rifles max whether it's July or January.

Seems to me, with the current long range craze, a lot of new (and old) shooters are lead to believe that "Extreme" and other temperature stable powders are the only way to go. That's just not so and creates "niche" shortages within shortages. All good, dry powder goes BANG. It's our job as reloaders and responsible gun owners to find the best and safest combination of bullet, brass, powder and primer to fit OUR rifle(s).

I like and use a variety of powders. I probably have more than I'm allowed but that's another subject for another thread. I believe any rifle/bullet combo can be made to shoot sub MOA with the right amount of the proper burn rate powder. 50 years of reloading, shooting and hunting is good experience. :)
Thank you, good sir!

That A4350 seems to work really well in the 7mag for 150gr bullets or less.160's seem to really kick up the pressure before you can get good velocity out of it.65.0grs I was getting 3220fps with a 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.That's as high as I could ever expect from any powder.Tried 63.5grs with a 160gr Accubond and the first couple of rounds ran around 3040fps.That's nearly 200fps less than the 150gr bullets.My last round ran up to 3070fps and I had a hard bolt lift.Though it is very accurate it is a bit too hot.
7mag1.jpg
7mag 2.jpg

My thoughts on all these powder bullet combinations are if you found a combination that works, why keep changing? Why keep looking? I bought a tuner break for my 6.5 Creedmoor so I would not have to keep playing around with powder/bullet combinations. I pick the highest velocity load for the bullet I am loading. Then I tune the barrel for that combination. Why doesn't everybody do that?

My thoughts on all these powder bullet combinations are if you found a combination that works, why keep changing? Why keep looking? I bought a tuner break for my 6.5 Creedmoor so I would not have to keep playing around with powder/bullet combinations. I pick the highest velocity load for the bullet I am loading. Then I tune the barrel for that combination. Why doesn't everybody do that?
These days it is not a choice to change, but more like a necessity since most popular powders are not existent in the market place. If we don't adapt, then we will be sitting on the sidelines waiting for our favorite powder and not shooting.

By the way, welcome from North Carolina.

Why keep chasing the perfect combination to match your barrels harmonics? I load my 6.5 Creedmoor with the highest velocity for the bullet and powder I am using. Then I use my tuner break to fine tune the barrel to that load. All problems solved. I don't understand why this proven technology is not on almost every long distance rifle made. I also use a graphite/molly in my barrel to almost eliminate wear. Both are old proven systems that work perfectly.

H 4350 and IMR 4350 are Great powders. Use them in my 270 Win 's , 270 Weatherby Mag ,and 30-06 HUNTING LOADS . I use mostly IMR 4350, only because I began with that powder 55 years ago. I also use H 4831 in my Weatherby Ultralight, in 270 Win. Your 264 Win Mag may like that powder ,too!!!

H 4350 and IMR 4350 are Great powders. Use them in my 270 Win 's , 270 Weatherby Mag ,and 30-06 HUNTING LOADS . I use mostly IMR 4350, only because I began with that powder 55 years ago. I also use H 4831 in my Weatherby Ultralight, in 270 Win. Your 264 Win Mag may like that powder ,too!!!
I hope so! I know the 4350 is more old school, but the rifles are too! Yes, something new would be nice. Utilize modern stuff. But I need something I can't forget( what powder goes to what) Getting older, and I know me…

I started Loading my first .270 Win Rifle with H 4831 over 57 years ago, just because Jack O Conner did. I was not yet educated enough at that time to know that other powders could be as good or better. I had to use only the lightest Win cases ,( 184.0 to 185.0 ) in order to get 59.7 grans of H 4831 in there . Looks like a 100 percent load to me!!! How the hell he got 61 grns of H 4831 in his .270 cases is beyond me. I use 4350 in the loads for my friends .270 Win. A Win Model 70 featherweight, which works really well in his rifle. We both have has several one shot kills on deer, that simply just fell down and never moved, in the 100 to 130 yard Range . Regarding clean kill on Whitetails , I can say that the bullet used ( 130 Grn Nosler Ballistic Tips ) and the placement of that bullet was far more important than weather I used 4831 or 4350 . Personal Opinion of course. Favorite Deer Load in my 270 Weatherby Mag ,( Weatherby Mark V Rifle with a 26 inch barrel ) is 67.3 grn of 4350 / Fed 215 M primer , for deer at long ranges. To me the .270 Weatherby mag, is kind of similar to your .264 Win Mag. Both really Great Long Range Rounds on medium sized game. Have fun with it!!!

Maybe because most of us dont know what in the World you are talking about???