416 Lathe Turned Bullets

zukieast

Looking to make 416 Barrett bullets as I dont like spending $1.50ea. for just a bullet when I have access to the tooling to turn these little suckers.

Cant find any bullet dimensions, brass type used, or machine language files to plug into the CNC to do this.

Anyone have this information or know where I may get it that wont make a vendor cringe that his trade secret is out?

Thanks
gun)

Looking to make 416 Barrett bullets as I dont like spending $1.50ea. for just a bullet when I have access to the tooling to turn these little suckers.

Cant find any bullet dimensions, brass type used, or machine language files to plug into the CNC to do this.

Anyone have this information or know where I may get it that wont make a vendor cringe that his trade secret is out?

Thanks
gun)

Fat chance, but you could order some bore tech bullets and take measurements your self. Do a rockwell hardness to determine proper hardness. Maybe take it and get it analyzed to determine metallurgical composition. Bullet turning is going to be a trade secret. You could always call a manufacturer and see if they will share.

If you have the machine (oscilloscope I think its called) you put an object on that shows its shadowed profile, you could determine angles. If you can machine you can determine this stuff with a little detective work.

Well, I got the metal material used, one guy did tell me that. However, as figured anyone who has done this for a business is not giving up the dimensions. So it will be the hard way at this point.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.