4000 fps in a 7mm STW w/140 Bullet?

I have custom 7mmstw shoot 140 grain nosler accubond at 3600 fps chrony all my loads 88 grains of h1000 fed 215 primer nosler brass col 3.66. Built on Remington sendero consistently shoot less than half inch groups all day long and primers are not flattened or hard to extract when reloading

Have been shooting stw since layne Simpson came out with it load from his original data 7mmstw is one of the flattest shooting most accurate hunting round you can hunt with glad to see people still talking about it

I made one when the 8 Rem Mag came out. On the barrel is stamped 7mm Coyle Wildcat. I made a load with two different bullets: Nosler 140 partition and Nolser 120 Ballistic Tip. The 140's ran about 3,400 feet per second and the 120's about 3,500. I made a pig target and set it at 327 yards. He fired a five shot group in the heart area with three partitions and two Ballistic Tips. The group measured 2". Needless to say he loved it.

I would say that gun is shooting good I have always told people to hunt with what they are confident in as long as they can shoot it accurately my stw was built on 700 rem sense to 7mag chamber for stw found the 140grain bullets love the 9.25 twist rate every gun I have built with that rate has smoked my 1in 10 twist rates of my other 7mstws with same exact loads and barrel lengths the 9.25 twist produce allot higher velocities

I would say that gun is shooting good I have always told people to hunt with what they are confident in as long as they can shoot it accurately my stw was built on 700 rem sense to 7mag chamber for stw found the 140grain bullets love the 9.25 twist rate every gun I have built with that rate has smoked my 1in 10 twist rates of my other 7mstws with same exact loads and barrel lengths the 9.25 twist produce allot higher velocities

I made one when the 8 Rem Mag came out. On the barrel is stamped 7mm Coyle Wildcat. I made a load with two different bullets: Nosler 140 partition and Nolser 120 Ballistic Tip. The 140's ran about 3,400 feet per second and the 120's about 3,500. I made a pig target and set it at 327 yards. He fired a five shot group in the heart area with three partitions and two Ballistic Tips. The group measured 2". Needless to say he loved it.
First one I built was browing a bolt medallion in 7mag 26 inch Douglas match barrel. It shot well

I knew a guy who had a 4,000fps 300wby mag. It was a custom single shot he made just for 125gr Nosler BT's...it was back in the late 90's. So I don't recall a lot about the day I was taking the chronograph readings.

It was a P17 Remington action with a 30" 1 in 12 unturned blank. Like I said it was made to be a single shot.

He ran 5 through a chronograph and they ran from just over 4,000fps up to the low 4,020's.

And shot a decent group at 300yds.

This is a very old post but the question keeps coming up so I will share
my experience with the 7 STW.

Like many people, I had a purpose built 7 STW before any ammo was available and you loaded using the 8mm Remington cases.

The rifle was a single shot 1885 High wall with a 31" barrel to see what velocities were possible with the "New" cartridge.

Using the 140 grain bullet to be able to compare it to the 7 rem mag I quickly found the weakness in the system. It was the bullets. later A Square loaded a 140 grain load to an advertised 3500 but in my 31" barrel it would just barely achieve it and later they dropped it to 3450
ft/sec.

I did reach 3800 ft/sec but the bullets started to shed the jackets and accuracy went out the window beyond 3700 ft/sec. I then tried monolithic solids and they were worse in the accuracy department and
would not perform very well above 3400 ft/sec.

The other issue was pressure, and loads that pushed 140s to 3800 ft/sec lost primer pockets after 2 firings So even with better cases and
more powder selections, I doubt that anything over 3500 to 3600 ft/sec is possible with any accuracy and SAMME max pressures.

No doubt the lightest bullets could be pushed to 4000 ft/sec if you could find a bullet that would hold up at those speeds and pressures, But at what cost to the equipment and accuracy, not to mention barrel life.

The 7 STW is a great cartridge, but don't ask more of it than it is capable off.

J E CUSTOM

The 7 STW is a great cartridge, but don't ask more of it than it is capable off.

J E CUSTOM
That goes for any cartridge. Hell, I push my guns hard, but not THAT hard. I want to get the most out of them, but I don't want to blow-up my rifle... 700 actions and aftermarket barrel blanks ain't cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.