Bullet Seating Depth 7mm STW

rb85cj7

okay I am trying to develop a load for my STW and can't quiet figure out what the seating depth should be. I am shooting 160 grain accubonds in a custom 700 action.

Here is my process:
1. make sure the bullet will slide into the case with enough pressure to keep it in place but still be able to slide it in and out.
2. push the bullet in just past the boat tails and chamber the round
3. Pull the round and measure the overall length.

I used 5 different cases and 2 different bullets and these are the numbers I came up with.

For an average of 3.810 at the lands. if i subtract .02" than that give me 3.790 at .020" off the lands.

The Nosler reloading manual says they that the SAAMI cartridge length is max 3.600" Could I really be that much larger then the SAAMI cartridge? Does this sound right?

Last edited:
I am no expert by any means , but I have m700 stw and I shoot 168 bergers and my C.O.L. is 3.865. That is with the bullet on the lands. Hope this helps.

I shoot a 7 STW and use the magazine. It is a Weatherby Accumark. COAL usually ends up in the 3.665 range for the different bullets I shoot. This is NOT a given as I take a different approach and look to drive a particular bullet a given velocity with minimal velocity shot spread. I then move the bullet in or out to get the best grouping.

I am at 3.655 with the 160gr Accubonds in a Sendero and they will barely fit in the magazine but I do use it and it feeds. To reach the lands I am like the first guy and have to get way out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.