400 legend Data-How about Hammers?

Ckgworks

I decided to build a 400 legend as soon as I got my hands on dies and factory ammo. The barrel I ordered from Mos-tek and hopefully will be here in the next week or so.......I've come to like the AR platform for youth hunting rifles because they can be made relatively light and compact, and with adjustable stocks be made to fit perfect. With the hunting we do, factory ammo will be fine for now but I'm trying to plan ahead to start watching for appropriate powders if I don't have them on hand. There is no published data that I've found so I'm looking for some help. I've loaded for quite some time, and am comfortable extrapolating data for other wildcats that I shoot but usually i can compare similar cartriges to start from. This one feels out of my league to start guessing on, I not sure what to compare it to, especially when I look at the 150 gr. 40 cal hammer.....would Quick Load help? - I've never used it. Anyone have any ideas/tips/experience for me to start looking at rather than just waiting for data? Suggestions on Powders/ ranges?
I'm planning to use Hammers-If I can get them to work, as well as a powder coated cast 200 gr bullet with gas check instead of waiting and hoping the 215 grain bullets are released to reloaders.

I was going to message Steve but thought I'd throw it on here and see if anyone else has anything to add, or if others are looking for 400 legend info it would be here. @RockyMtnMT

Anyone here playing with the 400 legend?
Thanks!

I mentioned it to Steve a while back and I didn't get the impression he was excited about making another bullet. :)
I didn't see anything in my version of QL but I'm sure there has been an update since I got mine But I have a user developed 400 L in my version of GRT if you think that will help. I dont have any 40 cal hammer bullets in my database. I can get some info for you with a different bullet and whatever powder you like from GRT

Last edited:
I would like to see the user developed data if you don't mind sharing, and I'll take you up on your offer when I get a feel on powders.....thank you! I haven't talked to Steve at all about this, but I was originally thinking of trying the existing 40 cal Hammer-thinking of a 10mm super mag. I'm not sure what the recoil will be like for youths with the 215 grain factory loads and it was stewing on performance from a lighter bullet. Hopefully others will chime in as well!

Cant get the file to export so I'll post it as a picture.

Attachments

• 400legend.png
    400legend.png
    47.1 KB · Views: 167
I decided to build a 400 legend as soon as I got my hands on dies and factory ammo. The barrel I ordered from Mos-tek and hopefully will be here in the next week or so.......I've come to like the AR platform for youth hunting rifles because they can be made relatively light and compact, and with adjustable stocks be made to fit perfect. With the hunting we do, factory ammo will be fine for now but I'm trying to plan ahead to start watching for appropriate powders if I don't have them on hand. There is no published data that I've found so I'm looking for some help. I've loaded for quite some time, and am comfortable extrapolating data for other wildcats that I shoot but usually i can compare similar cartriges to start from. This one feels out of my league to start guessing on, I not sure what to compare it to, especially when I look at the 150 gr. 40 cal hammer.....would Quick Load help? - I've never used it. Anyone have any ideas/tips/experience for me to start looking at rather than just waiting for data? Suggestions on Powders/ ranges?
I'm planning to use Hammers-If I can get them to work, as well as a powder coated cast 200 gr bullet with gas check instead of waiting and hoping the 215 grain bullets are released to reloaders.

I was going to message Steve but thought I'd throw it on here and see if anyone else has anything to add, or if others are looking for 400 legend info it would be here. @RockyMtnMT

Anyone here playing with the 400 legend?
Thanks!
QL will he of no service to you

Looking at it in GRT. Should hit about 2200+ fps with 200 gr XTP and H-110
N-120 looks like a good fit with same bullet
What powders do you have to work with
Should be able to get near 2500 fps with same powder and 155 gr xtp
H-4198 should work well too. Im sure there are others.

In that range, I have Lilgun, H110/296, CFE BLK, and a little H4198. CFE BLK is a new one for me....I don't have much experience with it but it worked well in a 22 K Hornet.

Using GRT and a 155 gr xtp, H-110 only gives 84% case fill at max load and 2533 fps
CFE BLK 92.4% case fill and 2475 fps. This powder model isnt rated that high in GRT
H-4198 99.6% case fill and 2436 fps
Lil-gun 80.8% case fill and 2620 fps
SW Buffalo Rifle 90.2% case fill and 2470 fps

These are max load predictions from GRT without measurements for your rifle.