4 elk down opening day!

Nice story and congrats on a good hunt. What makes the area inaccessible to your horses? Dead falls or steepness? I get my horses into some absolute miserable spots to pack out game, but I just have to lead them there.

Where I killed this bull was 220 yards from a clear cut. It took over 5 hours to make several trips with my backpack to move my elk that distance. The day before it was quartered and ready to pack. It was very steep and a lot of down timber. We watched my brother in law get lazy one year and not pack his elk 100 yrds on his back. As a result I watched him roll his horse down the mountain fully loaded because it was steep and the horse lost its footing. Took 3 days to get that horse in good enough shape just to walk out to the truck. It almost died. I wouldn't ask another person to help pack my elk off that hill, let alone my horse. My brother helped get the elk from the landing in the clear cut.That was almost asking too much of the horses due to dead fall and terrain.
I have been hunting off horses for almost 30 years. Had horses die, roll out from under me, run off and majorly injure themselves. I have a good handle on what's safe and whats not.
I remember the days we hunted places a horse could go anywhere. But this is a different state and much bigger mountains!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.