378-338 Weatherby Mag vs 338 Lupua

I just bought some Hornady 230gr ELD and i have a couple lbs of Re#33 . I will be pulling that ammo also .
I think your on the right track trying the lighter bullets, especially with a factory barrel. Don't under estimate the value of velocity with a lower BC bullet.
My son has a 30" 9 twist on his 338x378, and 106 gr of Retumbo delivers 2950 with a 300 gr. Reloader 33 didn't work well in his gun. 285 Hornadys shoot well also, at 1500 both the 300 Berger and the 285 are about equal for number of clicks needed. 250s don't shoot as well in his gun, or thats what we would be using. The 416 case in its standard shape and size is the same as for performance, and don't be concerned about various opinions about the belt or shoulder shape. You've got a great gun, and you made a great deal. Find another place for that scope, their great also.

I had forgotten how much I wanted a Weatherby Mark 5 as a young man! I had forgotten. I re-barreled my first bolt action rifle in middle school for my tool and die/metal working class. Prob. a year after that I saw my first Weatherby Mark V and feel head over heels for it. They where always hard to find every place I lived in Germany and the USA. So it was never the price it was that most of my rifle purchases when I was young where impulse buys! LOL I know I can not believe how impulsive I was back then! LOL Back then I was a money be damned type in fact I put a Corvete engine in a Toyota 4x4 just because I could! I used to carry $3500 in my wallet for a long time just in case I saw a car for sale that I might like to restore....LOL 3 kids and the ever shrinking domestic auto and aviation industry broke me of those habits! LOL

So is it harder to lap the lugs on those? Do they routinely need a lot of work like a Remington does to true up the action? Having never owned on I have no clue. Again Cheer's and Happy Hunting!

I have the opportunity to purchase a Mark V Accumark in 378-338 Mag used. Claims 20 rounds down the tube. Comes with dies and some brass plus a Leupold VX 111 3.5-10x40mm for a $1,000 bucks . Any reason I shouldn't consider this a great deal ? For long range shooting is the 338 Lupua a better cartridge ?
Well personally a 338 mag would be appropriate if your out hunting pickup trucks. Personally I use a maple stocked 700 Remington in 270 Winchester for hunting and a Ruger SR-762 (308) AR-10 platform, for range work. This pair is about all I need up here in North Dakota though the couple times I was in Alaska I did carry one of my .44 Mags along with a fishing pole not that I really expected to stop a charging bear but the loud muzzle blast might deter one long enough for me to dive into the stream, waders and all. Did have one close call when crossing about a 30 foot wide fast moving stream. When I was nearly to the other side with the typical high double banks I heard a loud WOFFFF from the bushes. The water was moving so fast that I had a difficult time maintaining my footing but I did manage to turn around and retreat back to me starting point after that experience I traded in my old model, single action, Vaquero for a S&W 629 Mountain Gun (faster shooting and reloading). Needless to say I did not try that again !!!!! Gun choice is a very personal decision though sight un-seen that Mark V Accumark sounds like it might be a great deal .

Well personally a 338 mag would be appropriate if your out hunting pickup trucks. Personally I use a maple stocked 700 Remington in 270 Winchester for hunting and a Ruger SR-762 (308) AR-10 platform, for range work. This pair is about all I need up here in North Dakota though the couple times I was in Alaska I did carry one of my .44 Mags along with a fishing pole not that I really expected to stop a charging bear but the loud muzzle blast might deter one long enough for me to dive into the stream, waders and all. Did have one close call when crossing about a 30 foot wide fast moving stream. When I was nearly to the other side with the typical high double banks I heard a loud WOFFFF from the bushes. The water was moving so fast that I had a difficult time maintaining my footing but I did manage to turn around and retreat back to me starting point after that experience I traded in my old model, single action, Vaquero for a S&W 629 Mountain Gun (faster shooting and reloading). Needless to say I did not try that again !!!!! Gun choice is a very personal decision though sight un-seen that Mark V Accumark sounds like it might be a great deal .
I just love guns,couldn't resist this price and always wanted a WBY MK V .

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.