378-338 Weatherby Mag vs 338 Lupua

If I was building from scratch I would never choose the 338LM not because their is anything wrong with it at all other than cost and weight of most actions factory chambered for it in some instances. That said if you are getting a great deal on either I would say jump on it. I would not build a 338-378Wby either for the same reasons. The brass is going to kill ya for either and loaded factory ammo is no joke either. A great deal though is a great deal and they seldom come around twice!

I have never owned any of the various versions of Weatherby actions but I have shot just about every type from Commercial Mausers on up that Roy used before designing his own and all of the versions built in different places for Weatherby. I have never came across one that did not work and cycle smoothly or one that did not have great finish and fantastic wood. My favorite action would have to be the Howa made Mark V actions.

Only about 1/2 of the ones I have shot had their original barrels on them. For a long time you really only saw serious hunters with them and as you would imagine it does not take long to burn out a barrel if your shooting one regularly.

It is not hard to believe 20rd count. The recoil is fierce for many. So you have two types of Weatherby owners the guys that buy them and only shoot them rarely due to recoil and ammo cost and the guys that travel the world hunting every chance they get. The lighter weight smaller diameter cartridges that are not as punishing to shoot are the ones that are most likely to be burnt out.
I'm being told that the factory muzzle brake does a good job. If it doesn't I have a PVA 4port Shock wave I'll put on it.I was not looking for this rifle,but I stumbled into this deal,I just simply couldn't let it pass .

I believe that's a deal for sure. A little light on the scope, but that's a preference.

I guess you'd have to look at brass availability. Cost ranging from 2.50$ for the Lapua to up to 3.50$ for the WBY. If you don't reload, id look for another caliber. Factory loading either of the two will be costly. I've never shot a 338-378, but can imagine it would pack a punch in that configuration.

I had a Lapua built and I love it. Every time I shoot it, I smile. Accurate, great ballistics, and easy to load for.
I replaced the Leupold scope with a Zeiss V6 . It will be shot tomorrow .

What was wrong with the Vari-X III? Tell ya what I will give you my address and you can put it in a box and send it my way! LOL I will even pay the shipping! Cheers! Which Zeiss V6?

Congratulations when looking at the prices today you got a fantastic deal for $1000!!! Happy Hunting!

What was wrong with the Vari-X III? Tell ya what I will give you my address and you can put it in a box and send it my way! LOL I will even pay the shipping! Cheers! Which Zeiss V6?

Congratulations when looking at the prices today you got a fantastic deal for $1000!!! Happy Hunting!

Never mind just went to the Zeiss page and saw it is 5-30X50.

Iron Worker lol if you don't have a use for the vx3 you took off of it I'd trade you a 22 Lr marlin 990 ducks unlimited New in box for it. Made sometime around 1989 or 1990. It's a nice looking little rifle and then you'd be getting 2 guns for the price of one!
Haha pm me if you're interested, otherwise enjoy the Weatherby.

Ok I also have a braked 7mm WSM ,shooting 162gr Amax at close to 3200 with 70grs of Re#26 . Its got a Hill country Long range shooting stock,I think the recoil of the WBY is about equal . I'm just saying I'm totally impressed with the Accumark .

That's not saying much. I'd rather shoot any rifle I own than shoot my 12 gauge with a turkey load in it.
My 3" 1 1/4 oz slugs leave me with a darn sore and purple shoulder if I'm not wearing a coat, but then again my shotgun only weighs about 6.5 pounds and doesn't have a recoil pad. (single shot)

Took out and shot it in the desert today . I was amazed how light and comfortable the recoil was. My 12 gauge shooting 3" mags kicks harder.
Mine is Lilja barreled at 32in and a Holland brake. It bucks, there is no doubt when I touch one off, but I'm certain that the 300WM Ruger 77 in factory trim I have is WAY more abusive! The only downer about the Big Weatherby, imho, is the brass. Pretty pricey, and the consistency seems lacking. Just weight sorted 70 rounds , and I found a 5gr spread. Still, in my rifle, they last well. Got 15 loads from my first 40rds. Still 16pcs out of that batch that are on number 18. Now that I started watching case consistency, I'm hoping to develop more consistent ammo. 10lbs Retumbo and 500 Bergers oughtta get the job done ! Lots of fun !

Right now I'm loading 117grs of Retumbo behind a 230 gr Hornady ELD-X . Be shooting off a bench today. So far I'm amazed at how comfortable the recoil was,(but I adjusted the platform so that I was standing when shooting it). Years ago I had a Rem 700 in 300RUM and that kicked very hard.

I'm being told that the factory muzzle brake does a good job. If it doesn't I have a PVA 4port Shock wave I'll put on it.I was not looking for this rifle,but I stumbled into this deal,I just simply couldn't let it pass .
I have the same rifle in the lapua range certified shooting 300gr bergers and the recoil is very manageable with the accubrake.

Corey

Ok I also have a braked 7mm WSM ,shooting 162gr Amax at close to 3200 with 70grs of Re#26 . Its got a Hill country Long range shooting stock,I think the recoil of the WBY is about equal . I'm just saying I'm totally impressed with the Accumark .

The Mark V has always been a great rifle. Sure every once in a while someone get's a lemon but that is true of anything. So I am not surprised you like it hard not to like the Mark V especially the older ones. They traditionally had great blueing and great wood!

Very Surprised the recoil is not sharp! Well that is a pleasant surprise right!

My lever action 45-70 has a sharp recoil not painful just very immediate. My 12ga. rifled slug gun has some serious recoil it is not as sharp as the 45-70 and is more of a push but it is long push and pretty intense.

My first Magnum was a 300WM and that had the BOSS system on it and it felt like I was shooting 150gr. 30-06 loads it did not feel like most magnums.

A lot of people do not know this so I will toss it out here. Muzzle breaks are actually quieter than an un-breaked rifle. It does not sound that way though because human hearing is some of the worst hearing on the planet. You do not hear with the ear just like all of our sense the brain is what does the hearing and seeing. The problem is that it redirects some of the sound that normally would not be heard from the muzzle back at the shooter. Second the sound is altered higher freq. at a lower SPL sound loud than lower freq. at higher spl levels. If you use a db meter a breaked rifle will be quieter than that same rifle with out the break. If you take a audio signal generator and you fix the spl level so it does not vary as you go up in freq. people will always think the db and spl values are climbing. Likewise if you take any given freq. and increase the volume it will sound as if the freq. is increasing when in fact it has not changed at all. Just like the brain fails often with visual information and we call those repeatable fails optical illusions the same thing happens with hearing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.