375 Ruger Longest Range Load

Yup...everyone can use 35 cal and bigger bottleneck and straight wall cartridges during both deer seasons. We are seeing a huge move to the 35 whelen here in iowa. I've built 4 of them ...1 mossberg and 3 savages rebarreled to the whelen. After slugging it for 40 years the rifles sure are fun. With my land owner and regular state wide tags i shot 4 deer with the whelen last year. Impressive to say the least. Just got to keep the pile of slugs i have for something in the future i guess. I did shoot a 5 x 5 elk one year with a slug one year. That was fun. We're glad for the rifle regs here in iowa....but its kinda dumb we can't use smaller cartridges...agreed

I hunted for many years with my 375 Weatherby using both the old 260g Ballistic Tip and continued with the 260g Accubond when introduced.
Those 2 have the same trajectory as a 30-06 firing 180g bullets and I have taken deer just beyond 500 metres without issue.
Also used Sierra 300g Game Kings and they too, will shoot beyond 450 metres with little trouble. Doesn't take much to kill deer with a 375.

Cheers.
Thanks for the input. Did those bullets open at 500 meters?

Yup...everyone can use 35 cal and bigger bottleneck and straight wall cartridges during both deer seasons. We are seeing a huge move to the 35 whelen here in iowa. I've built 4 of them ...1 mossberg and 3 savages rebarreled to the whelen. After slugging it for 40 years the rifles sure are fun. With my land owner and regular state wide tags i shot 4 deer with the whelen last year. Impressive to say the least. Just got to keep the pile of slugs i have for something in the future i guess. I did shoot a 5 x 5 elk one year with a slug one year. That was fun. We're glad for the rifle regs here in iowa....but its kinda dumb we can't use smaller cartridges...agreed
Some areas are pretty flat there, 6.5 Creedmoor be 3 sections away , still dropN deers.

The way the law is written it would be legal to use in these four seasons, really the only time it not legal are the muzzleloader seasons and of course archery.
IMG_6160.jpeg

Some areas are pretty flat there, 6.5 Creedmoor be 3 sections away , still dropN deers.

That was my thought originally. I've hunted Iowa since I was kid, usually for pheasant, Illinois had lots of deer for shotgun.

I'm not suggesting ELR loads since I'm unsure of the safety without having some form of backstops. I have two loads right now for the .375 Ruger, one is magazine fed, the other is single shot. Both bullets open at what is suggested as the minimum velocity while one in particular opens at 1,200 fps.

Years ago we developed the .350 Wells Express using the .338-378 Weatherby Magnum case. The 250 Woodleigh PP over H-1000 provided significant energy for hunting out to about 800 yards. This was in the wilds of AZ not farm country Iowa.

:)

Last edited:
Looking for some advice on the longest range load for this particular caliber. Specific to whitetails. I know it's an odd caliber but some new legislation has made this legal where I am hunting (.35 caliber and above). I've had this gun for sometime and the current load I have is reloader 17 and nosler's 260 accubond. Also have some older 260 nosler ballistic tips. Both shoot well and average 2825 fps.

I've looked at the 4Dof charts to get an idea of velocity down range. I don't have any experience with the references projectiles to decern their ability to open down around 2000 fps.

Is there a better long range projectile for extending my range whitetail hunting? Do any of you have experience with these Nosler bullets past 300 yards?

My apologies if this is in the wrong forum. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I'm going to assume you're in Iowa, cause I'm using my 375 ruger as well. I'm loading the Hornady 225 grain bullet ahead of 40 grains of A5744. Obviously, I'm not loading for long range, but if I was, I'd be looking at Reloader 15, Win 748, or maybe Win 760. My load is moving at about 2500 fps, and it'll get out to 250 yards with no problem, and that's plenty far enough for Iowa.

The 248 provides a good combination of velocity, and terminal performance.

Back in the day we shot antelope with the 270 Hornady past 300 with pretty impressive terminal results.

Speer makes a 270 as well never used it.

For deer, either of those should get you as far as you can go with that cartridge.

I also used the Hornady 270 SP in my H&H (a near ballistic twin for your Ruger) for quite a while. Great bullet, superbly accurate in my rifle…..while I haven't "crunched" the numbers, it should work well out to 500 yards or so! memtb