375 ruger load info

86alaskan

Hi everybody, looking for some help for loading my 375 Ruger Alaskan. I've been fortunate enough to come across 2 boxes of 300gr CT Failsafe bullets that I want to use for bear hunting. I bought them for the sole purpose of taking big animals down with bone crushing penetration. I emailed Nosler and haven't heard back yet. I currently load 300gr Sierra SPBT bullets with up to 80gr IMR 4350. That gives me good accuracy with no pressure signs. Can I just take a step back from that load and work up from there? I realize that the Failsafe bullets were discontinued way before the 375 Ruger came around. Thanks

Hi everybody, looking for some help for loading my 375 Ruger Alaskan. I've been fortunate enough to come across 2 boxes of 300gr CT Failsafe bullets that I want to use for bear hunting. I bought them for the sole purpose of taking big animals down with bone crushing penetration. I emailed Nosler and haven't heard back yet. I currently load 300gr Sierra SPBT bullets with up to 80gr IMR 4350. That gives me good accuracy with no pressure signs. Can I just take a step back from that load and work up from there? I realize that the Failsafe bullets were discontinued way before the 375 Ruger came around. Thanks

Good find. That Failsafe will be a smasher. You're right on track for your load workup. Back off from your existing load and work up looking for accuracy and pressure signs.

I'm starting with a workup from the barnes website. I figure that the failsafe is pretty close in construction and overall size to the tsx. I used my H380 Barnes load of 83gr and stepped back 2 grains to start, that should get me on paper at least. The barnes load is a crusher too, but I really want to use those failsafes. So, if any one wants to know..... 81 an 82gr H380, 300gr CT Failsafe seated to 3.300in with a firm lee factory crimp, groups to follow...

ok, range report... Ct failsafe at 3.300 coal, 81gr H380, three holes touching off sand bags alone. not too bad considering the cross hairs were at least 1moa thick at 100yds, if you told me they were thicker I'd believe you. so, if the black bear in PWS is within 100, call him dead.

Good luck! I might just see you there. This year has the makings to be a great one! I can't wait.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts