Loading for 375 Ruger

hothead

Just started loading for the 375 Ruger. My question is , must I crimp the projectiles in the case.
The bullet I want to use has no cantalure (Spelling is wrong). it shoots the factory 270gr Hornady ammo really well , but I would like to use Sierra or Nozler. Rifle will be used for Moose and black bear.
thanks , HH

I like to get a good crimp but it's not always necessary. I shoot a lot of 300gr Sierras for mid range (5-600 yard) practice and they don't have a cannelure. I always mag feed them and I've never had an issue with the bullets creeping out on the last round in the mag.

The necks on 375 Ruger brass are typically so thick that they give pretty good neck tension even without a crimp.

I always mag feed them and I've never had an issue with the bullets creeping out on the last round in the mag.

The necks on 375 Ruger brass are typically so thick that they give pretty good neck tension even without a crimp.
You meant creeping in, no? Such as to compress a charge of powder in the cartridge in a rifle magazine?

The rimmed cartridges in revolver cylinders can experience bullet creep out under heavy recoil because the rim prevents the cartridge case from moving toward the muzzle under recoil.
Whereas cartridges in most rifle magazines shift forward, which can result in bullets impacting the front face of the magazine. This can potentially cause bullets to be shoved deeper into the cases under recoil.

You meant creeping in, no? Such as to compress a charge of powder in the cartridge in a rifle magazine?

The rimmed cartridges in revolver cylinders can experience bullet creep out under heavy recoil because the rim prevents the cartridge case from moving toward the muzzle under recoil.
Whereas cartridges in most rifle magazines shift forward, which can result in bullets impacting the front face of the magazine. This can potentially cause bullets to be shoved deeper into the cases under recoil.

You're right, in rifles they typically get pushed in. I've been working with too many revolvers lately and go the wording wrong!

Roger that! I don't think I've ever had a bullet pushed in deeper in my rifle reloads in a rifle magazine.
But I've seen the flattened lead tips many times.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.