.375 hh

300WM, 338WM, 375 H&H - all pretty similiar cases with similar case capacity. 300WM is the most commercially available ammo. The question is do you need bullets in the 180-200 range, the 200-250 range, or the 250-300 range? Drop gets worse as you get heavier.

I own a 375 H&H in CZ 550 American Safari. Bought it for an Africa hunt that I'll probably never get to go on! Beautiful gun and shoots as accurately as anything else with good handloads. I've never shot an animal with it. I'm going with the flatter shooting cartridge this elk season and taking my 300WM.

Hi Guys, I may be a little late to the thread but life has a ways of interceding...A few years ago I went to South Africa with a CZ 500 Safari in 375 H&H and it was EVERYTHING that I could ever have wanted (took a 54 inch Kudu and a nice Blue Wildebeast with it). Great rifle (especially the mauser style 'claw extractor') GREAT GUN for the money=just my 2 cents worth.

slowly building my collection which honestly isn't very big at the moment but to cover all the bases I have a .22, .223/5.56s, 7mm08, .300 win.....thinking of adding a .375 hh. Just a basic stainless Remington factory 24" bbl Tupperware stock. I am a little on the fence with it or .338 win. I want to to stick with cartridges that components and ammo are relatively easy to acquire. Not looking to start a conversation about .338 vs .375 but I feel the .375 is a logical jump to really cover any use I might have.
My mind got made up for me as received a great deal from a friend on the.338 win mag rifle. I struggle optaining quality optics more than the weapons.

I can't say much about the logic involved, but mines been fun. Very lethal, easy to load for, runs cast bullet well, and modern bullets like the 248 Hammer Hunter, add a few more yards to the equation.

My first custom, built early 80's. It's literally the rifle in the safe with the most universal appeal. Folks just like handling it. It's been loaned out for bear hunts without complaints.

I've had enough impolite questions about it's fate when I'm "gone", I started telling them it will be decided in WWE style ladder cage match. There can be only one!

I can't say much about the logic involved, but mines been fun. Very lethal, easy to load for, runs cast bullet well, and modern bullets like the 248 Hammer Hunter, add a few more yards to the equation.

My first custom, built early 80's. It's literally the rifle in the safe with the most universal appeal. Folks just like handling it. It's been loaned out for bear hunts without complaints.

I've had enough impolite questions about it's fate when I'm "gone", I started telling them it will be decided in WWE style ladder cage match. There can be only one!
Lol now that's funny.

There is no substitute for the .375 H&H. With that said, if your heart is set on a .338 bore, consider the .338-378 Weatherby Magnum. I did and it's a fantastic cartridge. Mine is in a Weatherby Accumark. With the excellent Weatherby Accubrake, recoil is actually no worse than any of my .300 Winchester Magnums.

If you want full performance from the cartridge, you will have to handload. Weatherby factory ammunition is very anemic. WC 872 powder from Jeff Bartlett is the way to go. Use AA-8700 data.

https://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

nwtVkqw.jpg

2YXwj8m.jpg

Ok now that be match wirth watching.

Ok now that be match wirth watching.
I would definitely go with a Control Round Feed action... the only question is the stock choice: synthetic, wood or laminate.

I would start with the Winchester Model 70. It will serve you well on any continent.

I would start with the Winchester Model 70. It will serve you well on any continent

+1 on this, I bought my Classic Super Express about 10 years ago for 900.00 (no scope) gun has claw extractor, controlled round feed and a beautiful walnut stock which I prefer on this type of rifle. These guns are still available at 1000-1200 dollars, and if you don't like the walnut stock there should be a wide variety of available stocks in the aftermarket that are much better quality than most factory composite stocks for a reasonable price.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.