375 Drilled and annealed 350 Grain SMK

338 bruce

I tested the sierra match king .375-350 grain bullets shot thru one-one gallon milk jug then wet news print, stock, annealed and drilled out to .052 hollow points and annealed. All the bullets except the drilled and annealed one tumbled and broke in two pieces. The one that was only annealed had stretch lines in the nose section like it started to expand. The drilled and annealed one's both penetrated very far and expanded all the way down to the taper of the boat tail with a very long cavity. The muzzle velocity was 2830 fps and the distance was 25 yards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just back from a successful elk hunt, exit wound from 375 drilled and annealed 350 smk bullet 477 yards.

Attachments

• downsized_1015141432.jpg
    downsized_1015141432.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 139
I see,

And you're only really concerned with the tip and ogive?

And here's a meplat uniforming tool with hollow-pointing feature I've used for Berger 210gr .308 VLDs and 168gr .284 VLDs. I've never annealed the tip of the jackets. Doing both meplat trimming/hollow pointing and bullet tip annealing will both increase the odds that the bullet tip will expand/blow back. Do them both and even better, if you're looking to ensure the lead core jacketed bullet will shrapnel on impact.

http://www.montourcountyrifles.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.