375-416 Barrett

I hear what your saying! My 338-408 is around 17# but it is on a rail with return to battery , most of the time you can see your hit! It pushes you back but not a real kick! When I could not get the speed I wanted out of my 338-378 (3090) with the 300gr. I went to the 252 CE and just as expected 3200 easily! That is what I am lookin for. That is why I am thinking 375-416 It seems that if I can,t get 3200or better the bullets pencil through the game!

I hear what your saying! My 338-408 is around 17# but it is on a rail with return to battery , most of the time you can see your hit! It pushes you back but not a real kick! When I could not get the speed I wanted out of my 338-378 (3090) with the 300gr. I went to the 252 CE and just as expected 3200 easily! That is what I am lookin for. That is why I am thinking 375-416 It seems that if I can,t get 3200or better the bullets pencil through the game!

I'm seriously involved in a project that when finished will prove that 350 SMKs modified correctly can produce reliable consistent long range terminal performance......or not!:roll eyes:

Will have to wait till complete to see.

CEBs offerings worked very will for them during their 2015 Idaho hunt. However, my 10 twist barrel won't stabilize 350s or 377s. Somewhere between 630 and 950 yards they go goofy. Very accurate under 630 but go bonkers somewhere after that.

I looked into this a while back and put it on hold until I can get my hands on one of the gain twist barrels. I missed the last order by a few weeks. What's your velocity goal and with which bullet? I was hoping to hit 3300 with a 400 gr bullet.

I do have a 338/408 improved that's just waiting on the dies. From the sounds of it, your 3250 is right in the sweet spot for that round. I've been told that it can go faster but that accuracy and consistency fall off pretty fast.

Andrew

Yes the 338-408 at 3250 is a great shooter. I wont step up to the 375 unless I can get close to that speed. It would buck the wind very good though !

Sorry I hope I'm not "hijacking" but I was wondering if anybody knew if this can be done....?

I'm building a 375 Snipetac but havent reamed the barrel yet. My question is do you think I could ream it to 375-416 and use the bat model CT action I ordered?

Sorry I hope I'm not "hijacking" but I was wondering if anybody knew if this can be done....?

I'm building a 375 Snipetac but havent reamed the barrel yet. My question is do you think I could ream it to 375-416 and use the bat model CT action I ordered?

No, the 416 Barrett requires a 50 BMG sized action. You could build a Cheytac on the BAT XL action but not a 50 BMG on the CT action.

No, the 416 Barrett requires a 50 BMG sized action. You could build a Cheytac on the BAT XL action but not a 50 BMG on the CT action.

Okay thanks. I don't believe my action has been built yet i can still change it. I guess the next thing would be to figure out if the barrel has enough material available to ream for the bigger case size.

CHW is right you would need a EX bat action,You would need a .797 bolt face, Your smith could tell you about the barrel!

CHW:

Actually the bolt face for .50 BMG-class cartridges is north of .804, the rim diameter of .50 BMG cases. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_BMG The .416 Barrett wiki shows .797 but, as best I know, all bolts built for .50 BMG-class use the larger dim. My Barrett brass measures .797 to .800 piece-to-piece and at different locations on the same piece of brass (brand new Barrett primed case, direct from Barrett). But this is really a very minor point in your discussion.

What you are not getting in those words is that the BAT EX is "huge" - the "smaller" of the two EX models is 2.0" OD and 12" (twelve inches) long. If you already have a stock for a CT-sized cartridge, the chance of it accepting an EX is low. If you don't have a stock yet, you might ask Daryle at BAT if you can change from CT to EX. Do not expect to hear what you want in his reply.

Also, the price to step up to a BAT EX, compared to a Stiller Tac408 (the most popular action for CT builds - including most of the "house-branded" clones of it), is more than double. Bruno's had an EX 2.0 in stock until recently, offering it at (as best I recall) $2560...with a note that BAT was looking at a two year backlog on that action...vs the Stiller at $1180 (STILLER).

Would need a great deal more discussion to decide what might work for you.

BTW, a list of .50 BMG-capable actions is at Products - Rifle Components - see the color code legend at the top of the actions section.

Good luck!

Last edited:
CHW:

Actually the bolt face for .50 BMG-class cartridges is north of .804, the rim diameter of .50 BMG cases. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_BMG The .416 Barrett wiki shows .797 but, as best I know, all bolts built for .50 BMG-class use the larger dim. My Barrett brass measures .797 to .800 piece-to-piece and at different locations on the same piece of brass (brand new Barrett primed case, direct from Barrett). But this is really a very minor point in your discussion.

What you are not getting in those words is that the BAT EX is "huge" - the "smaller" of the two EX models is 2.0" OD and 12" (twelve inches) long. If you already have a stock for a CT-sized cartridge, the chance of it accepting an EX is low. If you don't have a stock yet, you might ask Daryle at BAT if you can change from CT to EX. Do not expect to hear what you want in his reply.

Also, the price to step up to a BAT EX, compared to a Stiller Tac408 (the most popular action for CT builds - including most of the "house-branded" clones of it), is more than double. Bruno's had an EX 2.0 in stock until recently, offering it at (as best I recall) $2560...with a note that BAT was looking at a two year backlog on that action...vs the Stiller at $1180 (STILLER).

Would need a great deal more discussion to decide what might work for you.

BTW, a list of .50 BMG-capable actions is at Products - Rifle Components - see the color code legend at the top of the actions section.

Good luck!

Sounds like a lot more trouble than it's worth! I think I will stick with my current plan BAT told me around 6 months on the action and that was around a month ago. Should have this rifle together in time to develop a load for this coming hunting season.

Just my 2c.
My Sniptac 375 CT and 12 twist gets 3080 fps with 134 retumbo and 350 g SMK and is super accurate to about 1400 yds

My 375 AM 10 twist with 141 g Retumbo and same round gets 3300 fps and groups 12" at 2200 yds.

I m waiting for a 416 built on a 585 Nyati. Been some time.

Sorry for the hyjac, but why the huge price difference between a 2" round x 10 inch long BAT "L" action and a 2" round x 12 inch long BAT"EX" 50 cal action?

Good question, I have the 10 inch x2 on my 338-378 I am guessing they have to set up for the extra 2 inches also it needs a longer bolt, and bigger dia. I was wondering if the 10 inch one would be long enough for the 416 case because it is only 250 tho. longer! I see they make the 408 bolt face for the 12 inch one

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.