340 weatherby

Greywolf18

Been looking around for a long range gun for hunting big animals (i.e. elk and larger). I know most on here love the .338 in all its variations along with the .300 and 7mm. I was just curious how the 340 weatherby mag stands up with the .338/.300/7mm. Tried doing a search but couldn't find anything on this cartridge. Briefly looked around online to see if this gun was a flat shooter or at least a comparison with say a .338 RUM. Just curious how this gun shoots from 100-1k yards along with how accurate they are. Also, I saw on a recoil table I found that it is less than a .338 RUM and almost less than the 300 RUM, anyone have any real world shooting between the 3 to say if this is true or are all of them about the same? Thanks.

A few years ago I bought a stainless 340 Wby barrel on e-bay. Not the accumark barrel it was just one off a stainless synthetic. I had a friend set it up in an action and bed it to a Wby wood lazermark stock. We put a Lupy scope on it with the BC reticle. It loved the factory 250 spirepoints shootin ragged holes at 100 yards. We found the BC reticle to be right on with this round. 200, 300, 450 and 500 yards. My son used this rifle for his first elk hunt and dumped a bull at 453 yards.

Velocities of 2900 fps are easy to get with 250 gr bullets and I have heard that this is a sweet spot for the factory 340 wby. I don't have any info on it with heavier bullets.

As for recoil, I would definatly get one with a brake. I have shot them without and got a pretty good case of scope rash. If you get a light rifle with out a brake, then I would definatly look into the eye relief of the scope you choose.

Jeff

My friend dumped a 7 by 6 Bull Elk in its tracks smack in the middle of Oregon at 683 yards with an Accumark. Droped it like the Hammer of Thor! His rifle does not have a break and the recoil is not noticeable to me at all when I shoot it. With 225gr Nosler Accubonds stoked with 86 grains VIht N165 muzzle velocity is 2953 from a cold barrel at SAC. With a BC of .55 and say 6000ft elev at 40Fthe drops are as follows
(200yrd zero)
300yrds -6 inches;
400yrds -17 inches;
500yrds -34.28 inches;
600yrds -57.45 inches.

Basically its a laser beam out to 500 yards with 2800ft-lbs of retained energy.

10th

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.