.340 weatherby magnum

trazman

Hello guys, I was looking for a barrel in .338 lapua magnum, but they dont produce one for blaser r93... I found a barrel in .340 wth mag... What do you think about this caliber for long range hunting? Is it almost as good as the lapua or?

.340 weatherby is a great round, but it's not quite as capable as the 338 lapua.If I was going to run a 340 for longrange I would look at a High BC 250 gr.It's a good 150 fps + behind the Lapua.

The 340 Wby is an awesome elk rifle. I have found mine to shoot very well with 250's @ 2900 fps. I only use mine for out to 500 yards so I don't consider it a LR rifle. It is however a very nice elk carry rifle. Now I am not saying the 340 is not good for LR, it surely is, but depending on your intended distances will detemine how much better the 338 LM is.

Jeff

To 800 meters it will do anything the others will. From all my testing there is an average of about 125 fps between it and the RUM's with the lapua edging it by 150 fps or so. Not enough to make any difference to 800 yards. If you can get the 340 easily and the others would be way more expensive probably not worth the extra cost. You can buy remington 300 wby brass and neck them up easily for cheap brass. If all things are equal price the 338 RUM would be the best choice. The 340 wby was my second long range rifle back in the 70's that replaced my 7mm-300 wby. I took several animals beyond 1000 yards with it with the 250 sgk because in those days that is all we had. Now with better bullet choices the 340 wby is better and a very good 800 meter rifle and beyond.

To 800 meters it will do anything the others will. From all my testing there is an average of about 125 fps between it and the RUM's with the lapua edging it by 150 fps or so. Not enough to make any difference to 800 yards. If you can get the 340 easily and the others would be way more expensive probably not worth the extra cost. You can buy remington 300 wby brass and neck them up easily for cheap brass. If all things are equal price the 338 RUM would be the best choice. The 340 wby was my second long range rifle back in the 70's that replaced my 7mm-300 wby. I took several animals beyond 1000 yards with it with the 250 sgk because in those days that is all we had. Now with better bullet choices the 340 wby is better and a very good 800 meter rifle and beyond.

and than another question, now i have a .300WM, will the 340wth mag be much better?

If i decide for .340 with which bullet do you suggest?

Both will work fine to 800 meters in my opinion. The difference would be what animals you are considering and what bullets are available to you. The 340 is going to hit with more authority at any range. Since you have the 300 winchester I don't know that it is worth the expense of going to the 340. Others may want to comment. If you were looking to go to 1000 meters or beyond the 338's would take over. But to 800 meters the 300 winchester will work. I have taken animals to beyond 900 meters with the 300 winchester.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.