338WM..225g AB ... 22" barrel

Porker

The 338WM has been discussed at length on most forums, but hoping I can lay some principles to bed for my particular rifle set-up which is a Ruger M77 in 22", 10 twist.

My understanding is that larger bullet diameter equates to fewer fps loss in velocity when you go ..say from a 26" to 22" in a bigger bore as opposed to a smaller speed freak calibre. Hench my decision to build a 338WM in 22" and not longer as this rifle (1) is not intended for ultra long range work ..300-400m max for medium to large plains game..."no extra inches for purpose" ..and (2) not much more gain in velocity going to 24" anyway. It will also do the job as the 1 rifle traveller to Africa once a year or so.

That in mind, I also do not intend pushing this rifle to max .. all I want is working velocity for the 225g accubond, which apparently does well on both shorter and longer shots. This would be a one load rifle for now that is.. and within reason ..comfortable on the shoulder. My rifle is fairly heavy at just under 10 pounds, and being a custom stainless LH, has shot every bullet weight/combination so far in an inch or less. Powder is your equivalent H4350 (AR2209 down under)

I was thinking around 2750 fps. Anyone run 225's at that velocity in 338WM with a 22'' barrel? My Leupold LR duplex on my ballistics app shows that 400m is about max to make full use of this combination. Most hunting will definitely be under 300m.

Input is greatly appreciated, i'm a bit in limbo having to relocate temporarily for work ...cramped in a little apartment,and musing is about the closest I will get to hunting for the rest of the year.

The 338WM has been discussed at length on most forums, but hoping I can lay some principles to bed for my particular rifle set-up which is a Ruger M77 in 22", 10 twist.

My understanding is that larger bullet diameter equates to fewer fps loss in velocity when you go ..say from a 26" to 22" in a bigger bore as opposed to a smaller speed freak calibre. Hench my decision to build a 338WM in 22" and not longer as this rifle (1) is not intended for ultra long range work ..300-400m max for medium to large plains game..."no extra inches for purpose" ..and (2) not much more gain in velocity going to 24" anyway. It will also do the job as the 1 rifle traveller to Africa once a year or so.

That in mind, I also do not intend pushing this rifle to max .. all I want is working velocity for the 225g accubond, which apparently does well on both shorter and longer shots. This would be a one load rifle for now that is.. and within reason ..comfortable on the shoulder. My rifle is fairly heavy at just under 10 pounds, and being a custom stainless LH, has shot every bullet weight/combination so far in an inch or less. Powder is your equivalent H4350 (AR2209 down under)

I was thinking around 2750 fps. Anyone run 225's at that velocity in 338WM with a 22'' barrel? My Leupold LR duplex on my ballistics app shows that 400m is about max to make full use of this combination. Most hunting will definitely be under 300m.

Input is greatly appreciated, i'm a bit in limbo having to relocate temporarily for work ...cramped in a little apartment,and musing is about the closest I will get to hunting for the rest of the year.

Are you sure yours is 22" barrel, my factory Ruger M77 MKII in .338 WM has a 24" barrel? On either case, it should serve you well at your intended purpose. Shot placement is still the key.

I was getting just shy of 2800 FPS with 225 NABs.

Good luck!

Hi feenix, it was a doner rifle LH Alaskan in 375R before it was changed, thanks for your input, what load where you using? Was it with H4350?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.