.338RUM Ackley Improved vs .338 EDGE

Yup, I've got some 300 RUM Nosler brass in my grubby little hands right now. Looks nice. I haven't done a lot of measuring yet but I have sliced one up already. They're heavier than Rem and a fair amount beefier toward the base.

My 338 thunder is essentially a 338 RUM AI with a few other changes and it shoots just as fast (and if it had the customary 30" barrel) it would probably shoot faster than the 338 edge-at least comparing my velos to Shawns with my gun getting same velos with less powder.

Fireforming is no big deal and is great for target practice as they normally shoot very well while doing so. But then again, simply necking up a 300 Rum is even easier still.

Either way you go, both cartridges are great long range performers and will serve you well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ps. my barrel is 26" long and shoots 300 grain MK's at 2850, 250 grain Scenars at 3050-3100, and 225 AB's at 3350. My charges are listed in my thunder thread if you want to see them.

[ QUOTE ]
GG did a little while back and he seemed pretty impressed with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I was impressed with it. I have loaded ammo in just about every Norma offering and every Lapua offering and to be honest, have seen some horrific crap come from both companies and thus far, Nosler's stuff has all been good although I will admit I have not worked with as much of it as I have Norma and Lapua. Aside from the 220 russian and 6br Lapua brass, Nosler's making about the best out of the box brass going right now if the reloader just wants to buy and load and not alter the brass in any way.

[ QUOTE ]
and let's not forget about "accurate brass" you know lapua is probably licking their wounds from the lost business! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm laffing here....Dave, that's good humor......more laffter...

[ QUOTE ]
My 338 thunder is essentially a 338 RUM AI with a few other changes and it shoots just as fast (and if it had the customary 30" barrel) it would probably shoot faster than the 338 edge-at least comparing my velos to Shawns with my gun getting same velos with less powder.

Fireforming is no big deal and is great for target practice as they normally shoot very well while doing so. But then again, simply necking up a 300 Rum is even easier still.

Either way you go, both cartridges are great long range performers and will serve you well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ps. my barrel is 26" long and shoots 300 grain MK's at 2850, 250 grain Scenars at 3050-3100, and 225 AB's at 3350. My charges are listed in my thunder thread if you want to see them.

[/ QUOTE ]

GG,
Thanks for the information. It'll help me narrow down my decision. Oh, and sorry I'm so slow in replying. I've been really busy at work this week.

HBB

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.