.338RUM Ackley Improved vs .338 EDGE

hillbillybear

Hi Folks,
I've been kicking around some LR rifle ideas and came across a listing (Midway) for a .338 RUM Ackley Improved.

I am just curious if this might be a different way (i.e. fireforming .338 RUM brass vs necking up .300 RUM cases to .338) of arriving at .338 EDGE powder capacity?

Thank for the input,

HBB

I don't think so. Shawns cartrige is a necked up and improved 300 RUM, which is originally longer to the shoulder than the 338 RUM. They would be very close though.

shawn's edge is not an improved version of the 300 RUM case, just pushed out to 338. i would go with the edge over a 338rum imp because of brass. the 300 has choices for brass other than remington plus you don't have to fireform.if you don't mind fireforming, i'd go with the 33/300 improved before i would go with a 338rum imp.

If the reamer I saw listed has the usual Ackley 40 degree shoulder it should have roughly 4%-6% more powder capacity than the parent round.

Thanks for the input,

HBB

That sounds pretty good,fireforming is not a big deal.You may be on to something good with this Imp. case... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've already got a .280AI and I really don't mind fireforming. Its just another reason to go shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I may have to give this thing a whirl.

I've also been thinking about a .280 AI LR rifle...but that's another project... so many guns to build and so little time and money to do it with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

HBB

Would this be similar to the improved 300RUM design called the Tomahawk??? If so I thought they didnt find much improvement over the original design. I have wondered if improving the RUM design wouldnt help with case stretching.

Would there be any worthwhile improvement over a match grade RUM chamber???

steve

[ QUOTE ]
the 300 has choices for brass other than remington

[/ QUOTE ]

Dave what are the other brass choices for the 300 RUM?? I'd switch in a minute....

Nosler, from what I hear it will be out before too long!! GG did a little while back and he seemed pretty impressed with it. I cant wait to see what the new brass will be like. Any kind of improvement above the Rem brass will be a welcome change for this caliber.

steve

Roy, Federal has had brass for a while and as said, nosler will start to hit the shelves any time now. and let's not forget about "accurate brass" you know lapua is probably licking their wounds from the lost business! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Would this be similar to the improved 300RUM design called the Tomahawk??? If so I thought they didnt find much improvement over the original design. I have wondered if improving the RUM design wouldnt help with case stretching.

Would there be any worthwhile improvement over a match grade RUM chamber???

steve

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be right about the Tomahawk case and the .338RUM AI. I recall reading somewhere that the gains were far outweighed by the work involved with the brass, cost of dies, etc.

A matchgrade .300RUM does make a lot of sense. I already have a .300 RUM in a 700 LSS and its super accurate (1/2 MOA). I need to give this some more thought.

HBB

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts