338 EDGE Improved?????

Topshot

Has anyone herd of an improved or altered version of the 338 EDGE?

My smith is hinting at chambaring my new build with a shoulder angle that is different to the standard RUM case. This makes me a bit nervous.

What are the pros and cons of doing this?

you name it... it's been done by someone somewhere. I've read a few links about this question here before. Seems the pro's are a few (very few) more FPS, slightly better case life, and most of all you will have a pretty unique rifle.
con's would be a little more involved in fire forming and more expensive dies and reamers!

Funny Shane asked me the same thing I said let's stick with what works and chamber it with the 30deg shoulder not the 22.

Im with you Jawz,

Did you ask him why he was pushing the 22 degree shoulder?

Built one years ago called a 338 LEGEND. Tite neck chamber 40 deg shoulder, shoots great. You really need a 30" barrel. To get redding to build you a set of S" DIES you will have to send them your chamber reamer and wait four months . after that and you fire form the brass you should get 3100 fps out of the 300 gr sierra.
I love it when a plan comes together

Last edited:
Has anyone herd of an improved or altered version of the 338 EDGE?

My smith is hinting at chambaring my new build with a shoulder angle that is different to the standard RUM case. This makes me a bit nervous.

What are the pros and cons of doing this?

I have a 338 edge Ackley improved. Case life seems to be pretty good, adds a few more grains of powder. Only con is ya have to fire form but that equals more shooting.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.