338RCM load help with 250AB

clhman

Picked up a new gun yesterday. After a lot of debate, I settled on a 338RCM in a Ruger Hawkeye Scout. It is for a bear hunt in the fall. I specifically wanted something super light but packing a punch. I have been looking through lots of data and was hoping to get some advice. The data I've seen looks like I should be able to push a 250gr projectile at about 2500fps through that 20" barrel. The threads that I've found haven't referenced that exact combination. Powder is hard to come by in AK so I'd like to get some solid advice on what might work so I can chase some down. I have 748 and Varget on the shelf, both are recommended. Looks like N-550 is highly recommended, but it not to be had up here. Anyone have any thoughts of what has worked for them? Thanks!

A few years ago I built myself a small compact 338 RCM on a model 7 action and hear is what I have discovered.

First I tried the 250 grain bullets and the lack of velocity with very little gain or none was the problem with the 250,s.

So I tried the 225 Accubonds and they were/are great.(Well under 1/2 MOA) with good velocity and energy.

Then I tried the 200 grain Accubonds and they had impressive velocity and accuracy.

The 180 grain bullets almost reached 3000 ft/sec but I felt they would be to light for large/dangerous game.

My barrel is 23" so my velocity may be out of reach for the 20" barrel at reasonable pressures.

If I came to AK to hunt bear, I would use the 225 Accubonds and never look back with an energy approaching 4000 ft/lbs.

I tried the factory Hornady and was not thrilled with the accuracy and bullet performance.

Here is a link that should help.

Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading

J E CUSTOM

I built two 338 RCMs before Berger offered the 250 hybrid. One is a 14 lb 30" designed to shoot the 300 gr Berger. The other is a tang safety M77 Ruger with 22" barrel which ended up shooting the 225 gr accubonds.

I tried 180 nosler bt, 215 sierra, and the 225 accubond when I started. I also thought the 225 was the best for this rifle. I tried Varget and H4350 with the 180 and 215.

Both rifles currently use RL-17 with low ES. The sporter load uses Fed 215 match primers with the 225 accubond @ 2750 with 61 gr of RL-17. The heavy rifle, which is long throated, uses 56.5 gr of RL-17 with the 300 gr bullet @ 2525 fps from that 30" barrel.

I tried the 250 hybrid when it first came out. I was one of the shooters that were given some from Berger to try. Unfortunately I couldn't get them to shoot tight enough groups to cause me to switch from the 225 Accubond. In fact it is the only hybrid I had difficulties getting to shoot accurately.

Here is my load data for the 22" barrel, RL-17 and the 250 gr Berger OAL of 2.980"

58 gr 2565
59 gr 2625
60 gr 2655

For what it is worth, the sporter has taken three cow elk to date with the 225 Accubond. All bullets exited on broadside shots. None of the elk required a second shot.

Thank you both for the replies. I read both of your previous threads before I posted and I hoped that you would both reply. gun)

I too, thought that the 225's would be the best for the round. My problem is currently they are ghosts. No one has them online or in the shops here in AK. I studied the ballistics and found some 250AB's on the shelf so I thought I'd try that first. I just bought the gun and being that my hunt is in October, I'm eager to develop the load I like and get some trigger time in. This is my first try at a non-magnum (per se) big caliber. I shot several moose with a 300RUM but I downsized to a 300SAUM in a model 7 and haven't looked back. It makes them just as dead as a RUM. I have an unbelievably awesome load that I run through it with 150AB's.

I think I can get ahold of Reloder 17 here in AK. I'll try that and post what I come up with. If I can get 2600fps with sub-MOA accuracy out of a 20" tube, I'd be super happy. I'm building this as a light brush gun with a 2-7x scope for quick handling. No 1000yd gun here. 300yd max.

Thank you both for the replies. I read both of your previous threads before I posted and I hoped that you would both reply. gun)

I too, thought that the 225's would be the best for the round. My problem is currently they are ghosts. No one has them online or in the shops here in AK. I studied the ballistics and found some 250AB's on the shelf so I thought I'd try that first. I just bought the gun and being that my hunt is in October, I'm eager to develop the load I like and get some trigger time in. This is my first try at a non-magnum (per se) big caliber. I shot several moose with a 300RUM but I downsized to a 300SAUM in a model 7 and haven't looked back. It makes them just as dead as a RUM. I have an unbelievably awesome load that I run through it with 150AB's.

I think I can get ahold of Reloder 17 here in AK. I'll try that and post what I come up with. If I can get 2600fps with sub-MOA accuracy out of a 20" tube, I'd be super happy. I'm building this as a light brush gun with a 2-7x scope for quick handling. No 1000yd gun here. 300yd max.

Just another option if you cant get the Accubonds.

Any of the bonded core bullets should work, and one of my favorites for the dangerous game in
416 to 458's is the Swift A frames and they make a 250 grain 338 bullet that if they are anything like the 350gr 416, they should do the job. I have had very good accuracy to 500 yards (No reason to go any father with a large caliber bullet) and performance has been stellar.

In fact , I have had good luck with all bonded core bullets performances on game at the shorter distances. Hornady makes an Interbond that I have also had good luck with on game.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually love Hornady products and I think they shoot great, except for one time. I shot a moose at 100yds with a 180sst out of my 300RUM and he just turned and looked at me. I shot again and the same thing. Good shot placement for both. He finally staggered a little and fell. I still had to dispatch him with my pistol. That has never happened with AB's. They always hit hard and I've never had to dispatch an animal hit with one. Maybe it was just a fluke, but I haven't hunted big game with them since. As I am going the biggest bears on the planet with this hunt, I'd feel more comfortable shooting an AB.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually love Hornady products and I think they shoot great, except for one time. I shot a moose at 100yds with a 180sst out of my 300RUM and he just turned and looked at me. I shot again and the same thing. Good shot placement for both. He finally staggered a little and fell. I still had to dispatch him with my pistol. That has never happened with AB's. They always hit hard and I've never had to dispatch an animal hit with one. Maybe it was just a fluke, but I haven't hunted big game with them since. As I am going the biggest bears on the planet with this hunt, I'd feel more comfortable shooting an AB.

I have had the same results with non bonded bullets and I believe the SST is not bonded (It is more of a target bullet) the Hornady bullet I was referring to is called the Interbond but I am not sure that they make it is 338. Speer also makes a bonded bullet that would be ok for close range accuracy (It is called a Hot core).

I have mixed reviews on non bonded and match bullets for game and I try not to use them in the field even if I give up some BCs. Terminal performance is still more important to me while hunting.

J E CUSTOM

I have had the same results with non bonded bullets and I believe the SST is not bonded (It is more of a target bullet) the Hornady bullet I was referring to is called the Interbond but I am not sure that they make it is 338. Speer also makes a bonded bullet that would be ok for close range accuracy (It is called a Hot core).

I have mixed reviews on non bonded and match bullets for game and I try not to use them in the field even if I give up some BCs. Terminal performance is still more important to me while hunting.

J E CUSTOM

I agree with you. I always go performance over BC. The accubond has never failed me, so I stick with it.

I finally was able to find some powder. I made it to the range for some testing yesterday. Here are my results:

250g Nos AB

N-550
56g 2492fps
56.5g 2507fps
57g 2525fps

Reloder 17
58g 2485fps
59g 2546fps
60g 2565fps

All shot near MOA or less. Reloder 17 at 60g showed marginally best group, but definitely lowest ES at 20. No signs of pressure whatsoever. What do you guys think? In the past, there has always been a clear winner for me, but this time, everything overall did very well. Does anyone have any comments on the powder choice? Reloder 17 certainly is more prolific up here, but what about temp variation? Is either a clear winner?

I'm very please with my first outing with this gun. I think it'll be a great gun. Let me know any comments you might have. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.