.338 WinMag & 225gr bullets

Julian Murray

I am battling to get my Sako 75 SS Synthetic to shoot 225 gr Hornadys and Noslers.
I don't want to go lighter as the Noslers will be ideal for my guiding in South Africa on gemsbuck and kudu.
Question: is the twist of this rifle suitable for these bullets?
I have varied seating depths and charges.
Unfortunately our SA powders are different to those in the US, but I would appreciate some advice.web page

Julian
What kind of accuracy are you getting? and what would you like to achieve? Have you checked results with any of the higher quality box ammo? How about the stock, is there contact with the barrel? Do you know the burn rate of the SA powders and how many are available? If you have the burn rate it might help, as to compare with US powders to find a suitable one. If any of this helps we can research it further.
PS do you know the Bowkers?

Hi Rimfire
Thanks for the response. Groups are 1 1/2" which is not good enough for a rifle of that quality. Stock is fine. Do not know the burning rates, but can try and find out. I know that the rifle does not like the Federal High Energy 250 grainers either.
I do know some of the Bowkers in the Eastern Cape (am from here too) and presume you hunted with them. Good people.

Julian
My .338 Win. liked the 225 Nosler Partition, it shot MOA or better as long as I didn't heat it up. The three best powders for me were Alliant Reloader 19, IMR 4350, and Accurate Arms 3100. You might be able to contact the SA powder Co. and see if they have a powder with a similar burn rate to one of these. If you have access to different types of primers give them a try mine had a strong preference. I am going to try the Nosler Accu Bonds also. I have been hearing good things about them, tough and accurate. Good luck.
Yes I did hunt with the Bowkers youngest son Denham. I had a great time and can't wait to get back to SA.

I got best accuracy out of my factory .338 with RL19, about 73 grains with 225 grain bullets. That was 73.5 for the 225 partition, 73.0 for the Accubond. WW cases, Fed 215 primers.

Something funny happened between 200 and 300 yards. 100 yard accuracy was good. 200 yard accuracy was usable. At 300 yards I'd have been happy with the vertical dispersion ... maybe 3, 3-1/2 inches, but I was getting 11 to 14 inches of horizontal stringing, equal in both directions from center such that the center of the group was directly below the point of aim. Puffy < 5 mph breeze. My .220 Swift was shooting 2" groups through it while I was waiting for the .338 to cool between groups, so I don't think it was wind drift or mirage.

Oh well, time for a different gun.

Currently shooting 225 gr Nosler Accubonds with 76gr of RL22 with win. brass and federal 215 mag primers. Getting half inch groups @100yds out of my Winchester Sporter LT with a 26" barrel.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.