338 Win mag build

I really don't want to put a break on the rifle. I won't be pursuing any game past 500 yards. Realistically should be under 400. I'm thinking of shooting either 225 or 250 grain accubonds (not the LR version) or possibly Swift A-Frames in the same weight range.

None of my big rifles have brakes. All I have ever hunted with in Alaska was 458 win mag 26 inch, 458 Barnes American, and 416 rem mag.

No rifle is great for everything. My African experiences was 458 win mag for the Big 5 300 win mag for larger plains game, and for the little stuff the 270AI all of them with 26 inch barrels.

I still stand by more case capacity. You have a loyal following of the 338 win mag and 30/30's. :) Mainly because that's all they have! :( I on the other hand buy new things and try them out. I would rather down load a real magnum than run a smaller case on the edge with hotter powder. Like in years past I bought a wildcat 7stw. My buddy was popping primers in his 7 mag and not even getting the velocity of my down loaded stw.

As to the 338 Lapua Mag. Just a beautiful round. I've been after big bears with friends and the .338 worked. Just not with the authority of a 416 or 458.

I've watch videos of moose hunts with everything down to 6.5. Sad thing is that the smaller cal the moose doesn't even flinch and they are often shot multiple times. That is where the 416 and 458 just DRT

I've got a custom 416 rem for big stuff and a custom 284 win that I love for small stuff that would probably work for moose, but I want an in-between.

I packed a 338 wm in Tikka m695 for years. I loaded 225s mostly at 2800 fps. Things died quickly with that gun. Barrel was 24" it was really a handi do all gun for Idaho with the early Burris bdc type scopes. Could shoot across canyons and still beat the brush.

I wound up with a box of nosler partitions once and hit a mule deer in the shoulder. I noticed the meet damage wasn't bad doing that bullet.

I really don't want to put a break on the rifle. I won't be pursuing any game past 500 yards. Realistically should be under 400. I'm thinking of shooting either 225 or 250 grain accubonds (not the LR version) or possibly Swift A-Frames in the same weight range.
I have a 24" barrel have a brake on it that can be turned off or on, with the lighter bullets 225 grain nice to have the brake, the 250 grn sometimes turn it off for 265-300 grn I leave the brake off., to me it does not kick as bad.

You have a loyal following of the 338 win mag and 30/30's. :) Mainly because that's all they have! :(
I think there are many many people who have many different and larger cartridge's to choose from. I think there are people who advocate for what works without excessive expense and bling bling. I just took the original post as he was asking about a 338WM with a 24 or 26" barrel.
As to the 338 Lapua Mag. Just a beautiful round. I've been after big bears with friends and the .338 worked. Just not with the authority of a 416 or 458.
No one ever argued against your position with winnable facts on this one I have seen.
I've watch videos of moose hunts with everything down to 6.5. Sad thing is that the smaller cal the moose doesn't even flinch and they are often shot multiple times.
Uh, here to me is a perfect example....clearly visible the results and for me pretty dang disgusting way to kill any animal when much better options are available. This is not survival hunting in the video it is pleasure, cultural, food, and and money making to me. Heck I hunt a lot for pleasure and culture. I am a big fan of Randy's and this ending after the shot I did not like at all. No I dont think he should have ruined an entire shoulder or two. To me....looked like many 6.5 Suck It Moor I have seen used on elk where there were much better cartridges available.

I've got a custom 416 rem for big stuff and a custom 284 win that I love for small stuff that would probably work for moose, but I want an in-between.
If .338 cal is in your future. I would do some research. 40 years ago almost every elk hunter friend of mine owned a 338 win. I used to reload for a friend and generally did 200's and 225's with H4350. My research lead me to 338 LM with a 28 inch barrel to burn up lots of US 869 or Retumbo back in the 90's. Cases were cheap enough that I bought 100's. I bought some of the first available 300 gr match bullets. really impressive shooting in low light conditions!

I also older gen and have seen many elk drop to the 338 win out to 700 yrds regular.Me I was shooting a 340 back when,last ten a 338 NM.But elks my game and if across canyon so be it.

I've been doing research on the 338 Lapua - since it has been suggested here so many times. Certainly an awesome round, but I'm not going down that road. I could more than double my range but I'd be losing too much of what I am looking for in this rifle. I think the 338 win will do what I want inside 500 yards with a 24" barrel (and really even some beyond) to the game I'll be hunting with it.

Pretty sure I'll do 225 accubonds over H4831 -since I've got plenty of it and it is temp stable. I've got a quote for the defiance action I want built in my inbox now -35 weeks out. Just have to decide on the stock… Likely go with a 1/10 bartlein with straight flutes and may use Hawkins precision bdl bottom metal again. Leaning towards some type of Manners carbon stock with a bdl mini-chassis.

Any other thoughts on this?

Thank you. I'm ordering a rebel action with 3 position safety, controlled round feed (which I realize may get some "boo's"), nitride finish, and a custom serial number.

The link you provided did have the bottom metal I was looking for - again - thank you.

Thank you. I'm ordering a rebel action with 3 position safety, controlled round feed (which I realize may get some "boo's"), nitride finish, and a custom serial number.

The link you provided did have the bottom metal I was looking for - again - thank you.
I'm not a big "custom" gun guy. I will say making our own serial numbers for our matching rifles was a HUGE selling point for me to BOHICA it.

I get right at 2900 with my 338wm and 225 NABs under RL19 in my 24" Mato. I've tried less temp sensitive powders but the RL 19 has much better ES, consistently in single digits. The only time i have temp problems is in the Texas heat above 80F, so if you're going to Africa make sure you have a summer load. And you are correct about heavier bullet recoil. My 250 Partition load is noticeable smoother on the shoulder.

I've been doing research on the 338 Lapua - since it has been suggested here so many times. Certainly an awesome round, but I'm not going down that road. I could more than double my range but I'd be losing too much of what I am looking for in this rifle. I think the 338 win will do what I want inside 500 yards with a 24" barrel (and really even some beyond) to the game I'll be hunting with it.

Pretty sure I'll do 225 accubonds over H4831 -since I've got plenty of it and it is temp stable. I've got a quote for the defiance action I want built in my inbox now -35 weeks out. Just have to decide on the stock… Likely go with a 1/10 bartlein with straight flutes and may use Hawkins precision bdl bottom metal again. Leaning towards some type of Manners carbon stock with a bdl mini-chassis.

Any other thoughts on this?
You'll be able to kill farther than 500 yard s if you want to. Your load components Will most likely work great as well.

I love my Lapua but Its not good for all hunting situations.