338 win hunting bullet

TC338

Alright, I've read several threads on pros and cons of different bullets, and I need some advice! Most guys I see using 338 cal rifles are reaching velocities I can not with my win mag. I am needing advice on a 250g+ hunting bullet for my 338 win running about 2700 at the muzzle. Right now I have a box of Bergers and a box of accubonds. I'm a little worried about the terminal performance of the bergers. Most of my shots will be on whitetails from 300-800 yards.

I use 225gr Accubonds in my 338WM, 250's in my 340 and 250 or 300's in my Edge for long range hunting, with the WM, the 225gr gets the best/flattest trajectory in my rifles 26" barrel. It's not a huge difference to the 250 Accubond, but the 225 is getting 2890fps in my rifle. I can only get 2770 with 250's in my rifle.
I have never seen an Accubond in any weight fail to expand, so the choice is yours, really.

Cheers.
gun)

I've shot your bullet choice in 338WM, 338/26-Nosler and 338 Edge.

Not hunted with them, I use non-lead for that.

Pretty unanimous on the terminal performance of Accubonds. All good.
Which Berger? Hunting Hybrid or OTM?

The comment I can make: IME Berger is more "consistent"/"Accurate" vs. the Nosler.

..........the 225gr gets the best/flattest trajectory in my rifles 26" barrel.............

For your stated purpose the 225's should serve well. We have shot a bunch of them in various .338 WM with good accuracy, and good results on game to 400 yards. At 800 yards though I'd need to refresh my memory, and look up some terminal velocity numbers to see if I still had a comfortable margin for expansion.

The 250 Berger either hunting or OTM are as good as it gets, if the Berger has an issue the Accubond won't have a chance!

I've shot your bullet choice in 338WM, 338/26-Nosler and 338 Edge.

Not hunted with them, I use non-lead for that.

Pretty unanimous on the terminal performance of Accubonds. All good.
Which Berger? Hunting Hybrid or OTM?

The comment I can make: IME Berger is more "consistent"/"Accurate" vs. the Nosler.

I'm using the hunting bullets. What non lead are you using?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.