338 Ultra Mag Info

DT,

You're doing the 338 RUM a large disservice. Shooting those itty bitty bullets simply seems wrong. Not ranting or flaming just saying. Considering white tails are the quarry I guess that's ok.:)

H-1000 and Retumbo seem at the moment to be extinct. W/the 300 Bergers a case full of 50 BMG, which seems plentiful works really well. You might consider it for the 250 offerings.

Have fun and don't take any crap from folks like me. :D

Point takin! I can get plenty of 50 bmg an have considerd it. I have no interest in the 300's. nothing against them, just my choice not to go over 250 grn! Like I said, my eyes just anit what they was. I've always liked the 338, just not gonna go long like a lot of the shooters on here! I'm not as confident or as good as a lot of these guys are!!! Hats off to all of the long range guys!!! That being said, I just want to get a very good, accurate load for this thing an feel comfortable with it!!! Thanks for the info though!!

DT

I shoot the 265 lrx with 7828ssc. Excellent accuracy and you can kill anything with it. I have shot whitetails, mule deer, and elk. Shot a pig or two with it as well. Longest kill was 880 on a mule deer. Dropped it dead as a stone. If you can, try and stay away from them little pills. They tend to be harder to dial in, plus the 338 rum can and will shoot long distance with a heavier pill. Don't limit yourself to 500-600 yards if you don't have too.

Good luck with your gun. The whole RUM family is wonderful.

I shoot the 265 lrx with 7828ssc. Excellent accuracy and you can kill anything with it. I have shot whitetails, mule deer, and elk. Shot a pig or two with it as well. Longest kill was 880 on a mule deer. Dropped it dead as a stone. If you can, try and stay away from them little pills. They tend to be harder to dial in, plus the 338 rum can and will shoot long distance with a heavier pill. Don't limit yourself to 500-600 yards if you don't have too.

Good luck with your gun. The whole RUM family is wonderful.

Got to agree!! The whole RUM family is a great family to belong too!! Point takin about the small pills. In time I might reconceder the goin long thing, just got to work up to it!! Thanks again for the info!

Wow 98 grains of H1000! Be very careful with that load.. Every gun is different but I shoot the 250 berger elite hunters at 2900fps with 215's and 93 grains of H1000, I got some serious pressure signs with 94.5 grains, stuck bolt and deep extractor mark.
I've been hearing that the burn rate for H1000 has changed so anyone using old data should start low.

Starting low is always a good idea. 98 was the upper limit in the Hodgdon book at one time. I have heard the H-1000 has changed also. I have no recent lots, and will start over and work up should I go that way again. Thanks

DT,
You're doing the 338 RUM a large disservice. Shooting those itty bitty bullets simply seems wrong. Not ranting or flaming just saying. Considering white tails are the quarry I guess that's ok.:)

H-1000 and Retumbo seem at the moment to be extinct. W/the 300 Bergers a case full of 50 BMG, which seems plentiful works really well. You might consider it for the 250 offerings.

Have fun and don't take any crap from folks like me. :D

The last MRI of my neck "degenerative" is the word that jumped off the page for me. Recoil seems to aggravate things. The 180's allow me to play more with this rifle. It wasn't built heavy, and I'm currently adding about 2lbs in stock and optics to manage a bit better. If I had to do it over I'd probably have went .300 H&H. A lot of facts that went into putting this rifle together changed before I ever got my hands on it. Like I said small deer and antelope. The 250's if it gets bigger or farther. It is all about having fun. Right now for me the smaller bullets are more fun. No crap, rant, or flaming perceived. Just a straightforward legitimate question.

The rifle that I'm having built is not going to have a muzzel break on it. I e already lost a lot of my hearing over the years an wanna keep what I got! Over the years I've owned rifles with an without breaks, just my choice not to have one on this rifle. That being said, with the ( supposed shortage of H-1000 an Retumbo ) I've got access to imr4350,4831 an 7828 I can also get bmg50. Anybody got any ideas out there for these powders or any others?? All help will be deeply appreciated! Thanks!

DT

My 338 RUM loves little pills, I do occasionally feed it bigger medicine, especially past 300yds. But I get my best grouping with 200gr Ballistic tip over 93gr RL22.

I just loaded the BTs over RL33, and as I suspected 106gr is the max the case can hold, and would be a compressed load. I stopped mine at 105gr, but I don't think I will be able to fire them till Friday. I will try to post pics and results once I do.

Dick,

I use 7828 ssc with the 265 lrx bullet with excellent accuracy. Powder is very stable at any temp and seems to be a very good, consistant performer. In my opinion 4831 and 4350 will burn too fast in the 338 rum. My longest kill to date was with this gun, bullet, powder combo. The very good news is the bullets and powder are available.

Jayson

Dick,

I use 7828 ssc with the 265 lrx bullet with excellent accuracy. Powder is very stable at any temp and seems to be a very good, consistant performer. In my opinion 4831 and 4350 will burn too fast in the 338 rum. My longest kill to date was with this gun, bullet, powder combo. The very good news is the bullets and powder are available.

Jayson

Thanks for the info. Since my last post, I've run across some H-1000 & Retumbo. I've got enough in stock now. But I'm still looking at 7828 an RL-33. I've got bout 2pounds of 7828 an one pound of RL-33, that I'm still gonna try. I also load for a 300 win mag an 7mm mag also, so mabey with what I've got I can do all three. I have found out that my 338 ultra love the 250 gr Accbonds. I've got some 200 an 225's also I would like to try but it shoots the 250's great! Still all info will be deeply appreciated!

DT

I have found out that my 338 ultra love the 250 gr Accbonds. I've got some 200 an 225's also I would like to try but it shoots the 250's great! Still all info will be deeply appreciated!

DT

We went from the 225's to the 250's when they came out. Pretty easy transition. If one shoots the others will is our experience. With the !80's, 225's, and 250's anyway, have never tried the 200's.

We went from the 225's to the 250's when they came out. Pretty easy transition. If one shoots the others will is our experience. With the !80's, 225's, and 250's anyway, have never tried the 200's.

That's good to know!! I've been wanting to try them, just didn't have a recipe! This 338 ultra is new to me. I've never loaded for one an have only shot one a few times! I can say this, I'm glad I got one! Love it!!!! Gonna be in the loading room this weekend to see what I can come up with then go shoot. Like I said, all info is appreciated!

DT

I went out and shot RL33 work-up loads, and had a really bad range day. I got out there an hour before closing and needed to shoot through quickly, so the grouping is not as tight as I would like. I'm gonna retry 104 and 105grs in three round lots this time and see. I think the point of impact for the first 105 gr load should be where I put the orange mark, but I felt like I moved. I'm not sure I wanna load a lot of these behind light bullets, because I get as good or better perfomance with RL22 or RL25. Also, I might have imagined it, but it felt like there was more recoil with this powder. I didn't see any unburnt powder, but all of the cases where smoking on exit which indicates an incomplete burn to me.

Attachments

• 20140613_115052.jpg
    20140613_115052.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 20140613_115916.jpg
    20140613_115916.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20140613_121050.jpg
    20140613_121050.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 20140613_122030.jpg
    20140613_122030.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.