338 snipe-tac

Nice work Dave. It sure is something when you can build your own actions and produce such a fine weapon. It says something of the gunsmith who produces his own actions!

Its one thing to simply put a barrel on a rifle but its a whole nother playing field when you start building actions.

Great gunsmithing and machining work there Dave. You're one hell of a gunsmith and machinist which is a great combo.

Your products are top notch and about as high quality as anyone can get.

Dave

I have recieved my baby. If perfection gets you to heaven, my gun will be there to!!!!!! Dave your work is perfection, I say no more. Will try to shoot this week.If you want to see pics go to his website www.viersco.com. It's the gun on the opening page.

Too kind of words Shaner, i just enjoy building them. I hope you get lots of wild and wicked fun out of it. From the sounds and looks of the emails i have been getting from your friends, the last one had drool all over it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
it must be dazzling them. It is a very wicked cartridge and will make the smaller mags take notice. Don't impress to many of the guys there, i only do this part time.

The link you posted to my website is going to the wrong place, check out my signature below, it will take you to Shaner's rifle pics.

Good luck with the rifle, give me a call anytime if you need anything. It really turned out to be kinda like art work, the Ti action sets it off, the carbon bbl and stock are color matched perfectly, cudo's to Lone Wolf stocks. ABS and Mike Rock did a great job on the bbl. I got lucky on the rest.

Dave

I tried to look at your new rifle, however, It said the site was under construction.

Wildcat

Absolutely beautiful rifle.. Man I want one! Thanks for sharing. I like that lone wolf stock. You must have good luck with them. I have heard some not so great things about their stocks. Can you say why you chose there stocks or McMillan's? Thanks

Also, How much does the Long Range repeater weigh in .338 Snipetac?

Bowman:

Thanks for the compliment! As far as the stock goes, i have used McMillan, Brown Precsion and others. Lone Wolf stocks are just as nice as any other. You can have it custom made the way you want it, lighten or put more fiber in it to make it heavy duty. On aver you place the order and you will see a stock in about 45days.

Weight will depend on bbl length and taper, type of material used. 12-15# My personal rifle scoped weighs
16 3/4# 33" bbl. These rifles take a larger action and with that you need a larger bbl tennon which brings the total weight of the rifle up.

here is some of the test groups fired from the rifle, 3 shots at 100yds
[image][/image]
(This was a two shot group)
[image][/image]

Dave

About 120 rounds and the barrel is shot. The accuracy will decrease lands and grooves will be deformed (weather button pulled, pushed or cut grooved), throat erosion is undeniable right after the 50th shot (weather you jump them or feed right into the rifling), unless you are a billionaire, rifle is useless.
Good luck u all.
I'll stick with my 308.
deepandsilence

About 120 rounds and the barrel is shot. The accuracy will decrease lands and grooves will be deformed (weather button pulled, pushed or cut grooved), throat erosion is undeniable right after the 50th shot (weather you jump them or feed right into the rifling), unless you are a billionaire, rifle is useless.
Good luck u all.
I'll stick with my 308.
deepandsilence

Gee that's brutal!!!! I wonder if there is any fact behind the comment?

Wow, seldom do you have someone show such an uneducated opinion right off the get go.

I assure you, Dave, Shawn, Joel, Bruce and I can all attest that the 338-408 CT wildcats offer much longer barrel life then that. Unless your not real smart and shoot them like a 308 Win and out 10 round strings through them as fast as you can playing war games.....

There are dozens of others that own these rifles that could also prove your comment totally uneducated and boarderline rediculous.

I have a heavy 338 AM that still puts three rounds into 1/2 moa groups well past 1000 yards and it had 800 rounds through the barrel when I set the barrel back 4" and its still going strong. The reason I set the barrel back was because I was getting sick of a 40" barrel and from velocity tests, the increased velocity was not worth the pain in the rear to move the big rifle around.

Smells like a troll, I think you ment to type in Snipershide, not LRH.com......

If you want to continue the debate, please offer your solid data to back up your comments because I have plenty of data in both button rifled and cut rifled barrels I would be more then willing to share with you.

I have never fooled with the CT case since all I do is hunting rifles that will come in around 10 pounds or under. But I think I will give a very educated guess and side with fifty on this one. I think if you treated one of his right and took care of it you could shoot one a lifetime of hunting. I just can't see shooting out a 338 barrel that fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.