338 snipe-tac

Shaner2121

Well good news, your Titanium action is almost finished! The 40moa base is milled and fitted to the reciever, i will post a few pics here, i set my IOR 6x24 35mm tube scope on and took a pic, looks MEAN! I hope to have the Titainum anodized this week, i did the firing pin today, it came out a deep blue color. Your action should be a gun metal "bluish grey" color after the bead blasting and anodizing. I have most of the inletting done on the Lone Wolf stock, just have to make the bottom metal and install it. Maybe some targets in the next few weeks guys.

Dave

OK, BD408, after talking to fiftydriver several times about building a .338 Kahn for me on my CZ550 in .416 Rigby for LR elk, I think I may have to bite the hook on the .338 Snipe-Tac..........sorry Kirby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif . I still hold you in HIGHEST REGARDS, however. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I always DID tell you that I hate BELTS, anyway!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I guess since I now have TWO .416 Rigbys (the CZ and a Ruger RSM), AND since BD has made me do a complete somersault in my thinking, the CZ will wind up becoming a .470 Mbogo! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif See cartridge pics HERE (Click on the Upper Left pic for comparison).

Y'all will have to excuse me for a while....................I've gotta get going so I can rob a BANK!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
But keep checking the board, Kirby and I are scheming together on a new project. Top Secret! Project "X"

[/ QUOTE ]

NOW THAT SOUNDS SCARY!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am drooling at the bit!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Come on fellas don't be TEASERS like your wives are!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Kirby has a round base off the 408 hes building my rifle with it in a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was aware of that......it's the .338 AM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Unfortunately, while my CZ Safari Magnum action CAN handle a .505 Gibbs, the magazine is a bit short for the Chey-Tac case when a long, slender high BC bullet is seated (I have two .408 dummy rounds---one with a 305 gr. bullet and one with a 419 gr. bullet). Even with the 305 grainer, it won't fit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I "almost" thought about lengthening the magazine, and floorplate, but then the action bolts wouldn't line up AND in the .505 Gibbs bolt head, the action is only rated to 55,000 psi. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif The equivalent analysis for the Rigby/Weatherby case head size would suggest a limit of 75,000 psi. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It is a bolt thrust thing, so I believe that BD408's action and bolt is FAR SUPERIOR in this area, both in material construction AND bolt construction (THREE lugs)!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mindcrime:

That .470 looks like a big mongrel too!

This is a pic of the Shaner2121's Titanium action for his 338 SnipeTac. It is still in the white, the aluminum will be anodized grey to match the action.

Shown is the 3 round detachable magazine and aluminum bottom metal. I installed a long tactical bolt handle with aluminum knob.
[image][/image]

That looks awesome.....but the magazine looks a bit rough for an action of that beauty! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I love the fact that you have incorporated a magazine though!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Shawn,

This one weighs 4# 6oz. as shown in picture with magazine.
The estimated weight of finished rifle is 12.5#
The action was machined out of a 2.250 dia billet.

Carbon bbl 34" 5.5#
Carbon stock 2.5#

Mindcrime,

The magazine just looks rough in the pic, it is just a proto type. I make these and then they are spot welded together, similar to a military mag. Function before form. The actuall magazine for this rifle will have a nice
blue job. This is just Painted for testing.
Military 408 magazines are very large, i was going to use one in this rifle, but weight concerns made me go another direction. 5 or 10 shot magazines are too long and get in the way, not to mention that many rounds really are not needed in a long range hunting rifle.

[ QUOTE ]
Mindcrime,

The magazine just looks rough in the pic, it is just a proto type. I make these and then they are spot welded together, similar to a military mag. Function before form. The actuall magazine for this rifle will have a nice
blue job. This is just Painted for testing.
Military 408 magazines are very large, i was going to use one in this rifle, but weight concerns made me go another direction. 5 or 10 shot magazines are too long and get in the way, not to mention that many rounds really are not needed in a long range hunting rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured as much---when everything else was so pretty. I was just playing with you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, I can't wait until you and Kirby let the cat out of the bag on what y'all are working on!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Shaner and Dave,
The long tube with the carbon fiber on the outside and swirly grooves on the inside went in the Brown truck today.
Mike

Carbon Man:

It sure is pretty! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I set it up in the lathe today, WOW what a straight barrel.
I couldn't see the dial indicator needle move.

Updates later

I Have Shaners new rifle assembled for fireforming brass and barrel break in. Dry weight with out scope is 13# even.
I will post some finished pics soon.

I necked down the 408c-t brass and loaded them with 144grns of US869 with a 300grn MK touching the lands. For the heck of it i put up a target and set up the chronograph. At 100yds, the first group was .580 for three shots. Second group was .588 and the third was two shots only, .381

No cleaning was done for all shots as i am using the Moly break in system from Sentry Solutions.com Mike Rock advised me to use this system. (20 shots no cleaning)

The ave velocity for the 8 shots was 3345fps High was 3351 low was 3342. I used two different brands of brass during the test, TTI armory and Jamison. Both worked good, Jamison is harder brass.

[image][/image]

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.