338 SHERMAN MAX

Rich,

you might be able to get a good idea by using quickload reducing the barrel length on a known load and look at the powder burn %. Tweak the heat energy of the powder to correct the vel to match real world.

At some point there will be a jump. Depending on the specific powder burn rate will effect that exact point. Its rarely linear. Between certain lengths it maybe single digits and others jump to 20.

A long burnout barrel and a cutoff saw is the sure way. Issue is with the 338 bore that could be 4k+ rds.

Does anyone know if this can be done (barrel set back and reamed out) with a Tikka T3/T3X? They seem short shanked to start with... Donor chamber/barrel would be a 338 win mag. Or is a new barrel going to be required?

Thanks.

Edit post to clarify question.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if this can be done with a Tikka T3/T3X? They seem short shanked to start with... Donor chamber/barrel would be a 338 win mag.

Thanks.
I will let rich confirm but I am 99% sure it can be because the 7 sherman max will work on a tika t3 so I dont know why the 338 max wouldn't work .

There have been several built. The difference here would be cutting off some shank and rechambering the same barrel. The WM chamber is about 1/2" longer but I dont see where that would be a problem. If you were cutting forward of the old chamber, it could be a problem at some point with strength. Maybe a smith could chime in, but thats how I see it.

Whidden dies and 338 max headstamp brass available now? Do you still need to neck up the brass?

Considering a build on a LA Borden that I just got.