338 SHERMAN MAX

elkaholic

Official LRH Sponsor
Does this hold true from 30” down to sub 20”?
That Im not entirely sure of? I know down to 22" from 26" its true and Im not sure you gain at the same rate above 26" either? In general though, its little loss in most normal barrel lengths.

tim_w

Rich,

you might be able to get a good idea by using quickload reducing the barrel length on a known load and look at the powder burn %. Tweak the heat energy of the powder to correct the vel to match real world.

At some point there will be a jump. Depending on the specific powder burn rate will effect that exact point. Its rarely linear. Between certain lengths it maybe single digits and others jump to 20.

A long burnout barrel and a cutoff saw is the sure way. Issue is with the 338 bore that could be 4k+ rds.

Bpro2020

Oh yea, just wait patiently to finish shooting out my win mag barrel. You, rich, are an evil genius, so says my wallet and my wife. Couldn't ask for a better set up for ease of change. I am super tempted to take my wife's 30-06 and set to a 300 sherman but then she wouldn't have to lead me so much to shoot me with it.

DBoone

Does anyone know if this can be done (barrel set back and reamed out) with a Tikka T3/T3X? They seem short shanked to start with... Donor chamber/barrel would be a 338 win mag. Or is a new barrel going to be required?

Thanks.

Edit post to clarify question.

Last edited:

Bpro2020

Does anyone know if this can be done with a Tikka T3/T3X? They seem short shanked to start with... Donor chamber/barrel would be a 338 win mag.

Thanks.
I will let rich confirm but I am 99% sure it can be because the 7 sherman max will work on a tika t3 so I dont know why the 338 max wouldn't work .

elkaholic

Official LRH Sponsor
There have been several built. The difference here would be cutting off some shank and rechambering the same barrel. The WM chamber is about 1/2" longer but I dont see where that would be a problem. If you were cutting forward of the old chamber, it could be a problem at some point with strength. Maybe a smith could chime in, but thats how I see it.

duckhunter175

Whidden dies and 338 max headstamp brass available now? Do you still need to neck up the brass?

Considering a build on a LA Borden that I just got.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce