338 rum

450hunter

I have a Rem 700 XCR II 338 RUM that I'm having a heck of a time getting it to shoot a good group. I have been trying both 300 grain Berger and SMK's. I have tried RL-25 and RL-33. I haven't been able to get my hands on any Retumbo. I know every gun is different but most people are having great results with these two powders. I really don't want to shoot a smaller grain bullet but I may end up having to try some. Also this rifle only has about 60'ish rounds down the tube, so am I just getting worked up for no reason right now? If so, how many rounds on the norm before it will start settling in. Thanks in advance

Mine likes 91 grains of reloader 25, 250 grain Berger, COL 3.7 single feed and .6 group. I hope that helps you. I forgot to mention that I also use Federal 215 primer.

Last edited:
I have an XCR I. I have had very good luck with the 300 grain bergers and retumbo as well as h1000. 250 grain bergers did well with H4350, and 225 grain Interbonds did well with rl 22 and H1000. 210 ttsx did very well with a stiff load of RL 22.
I tried a whole pound of RL 25 and never had any luck.
For me, the key was to load the 300 grainers as long as possible.
I now have the wyatts internal box mag, so i load to just of the lands and still have a 2+1.

Every gun is different but for what it's worth; my semi-custom 338 RUM just wouldn't group well with Berger 300's or Nosler 300 AB's. Hmmmm

Put some 250gr Partitions to the test while I was waiting for 250 Accubonds to be delivered. To my surprise I was able to get groups of just about 1.5" at 300 yds. When the Accubonds arrived they shot a bit tighter with initial load work up. Berger 250 Elite Hunters also shot about 1.5" at 300 yds.

In the end, I was able to get regular ol' 250 Accubonds to group at 3/4" at 300 yds repeatedly through a fouled bbl. Cleaned the barrel and groups opened back up. :rolleyes:

My advise - before you die trying with the 300's, give some 250's a try.

Thanks for the help and I think I might have a pound of H1000. Also I will try and find some 250 grain bullets local to try out. How will the 250 grn bullets do for long distance? Is one brand (Berger, Nosler, Sierra, etc) better then the other for long distance? Thanks

I wanted to shoot 300 gr berger's from my XCR and finally rebarreled it and blue-printed it and it drives nails with that bullet now. I put a shilen #4 barrel(1-10), custom brake, Timney trigger, pillar bedded laminated stock and blueprinting for under $1400.00. It will shoot .5moa or better consistently now. I could never get my stock XCR to shoot better than 2" groups at 100 yds so I had no choice.

Thanks for the help and I think I might have a pound of H1000. Also I will try and find some 250 grain bullets local to try out. How will the 250 grn bullets do for long distance? Is one brand (Berger, Nosler, Sierra, etc) better then the other for long distance? Thanks

How far is long distance for you? What is your typical hunting range? If your rifle is not accurate enough for long range you will be limited by the ability of the rifle. You will have to find the most accurate load you can for your rifle and figure out how far that load will hold moa of deer.

The other thing is you should check the stability factor of the 300's in your rifle.

Steve

I shoot 250 accubonds and Bergers out of my rum. Both shoot Plenty good for long range. 300 gr buck the wind better and are better when your getting past 1k. 250's are more than enough for hunting out to 1k and then some. Got to get your wind call right just like any caliber when you get out there a ways

Rocky,

I would never attempt to hunt long distance with the rifle until I could constantly hit my target with it out to what ever range and I understand that has to do with the rifle's ability. I live in Alaska so my hunting range varies a lot. I would like to be able to shoot out to 1K but only time will tell if that is possible. I am just getting into long range shooting so I didn't want to waste time and money if the 250's wouldn't fill the ticket. There are a lot of expierenced people here on the form that are light years ahead of me so I was just looking for a little of that knowledge.

Thanks again everyone for info and help. I just hope I can make this thing shoot without rebarreling.

Rocky,

I would never attempt to hunt long distance with the rifle until I could constantly hit my target with it out to what ever range and I understand that has to do with the rifle's ability. I live in Alaska so my hunting range varies a lot. I would like to be able to shoot out to 1K but only time will tell if that is possible. I am just getting into long range shooting so I didn't want to waste time and money if the 250's wouldn't fill the ticket. There are a lot of expierenced people here on the form that are light years ahead of me so I was just looking for a little of that knowledge.

Thanks again everyone for info and help. I just hope I can make this thing shoot without rebarreling.

I think the 250 class bullet will get you as far as you want with out any trouble. Especially if it shoots better. I wouldn't give up on it yet.

Steve

I think the 250 class bullet will get you as far as you want with out any trouble. Especially if it shoots better. I wouldn't give up on it yet.

Steve

+1. the 250 EH is an amazing long range hunting bullet.

I have had great luck with RL-25, RL-33 and H-1000 in my 338 RUM, and it's not picky about bullet weights. Like others have said I would try the 250.

Some barrels don't like boat tails. I had on barrel on my 338 rum that was very happy with 250 grain partitions. You might also give 225 grain Tipped Tripple shocks a try as well as 225 accubonds. They have plenty of punch out to 1k and shoot fast and flat.

In my Rem 700 338 Rum
94.0 of H1000
91.0 of RL 22
225 TTSX
Fed 215
RP brass

It seemed to like the 210gr to 225gr bullet weights better than the heavier 250's.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.