338 rum

CooperNV

This my first venture into the Magnum world. I was doing some research for a buddy on a good long range elk cartridge. I surf the web and read alot ballistic tables and articles. In my humble opinion the 338 edge would be hard to beat. So one day this spring I was kicking around a local shop and saw Remmy 700 BDL embellished in 338 RUM NIB for $650. It's not an edge but at that price I decided to roll the dice and see if it would shoot.
I skim bedded it in a B&C A-2 stock, adjusted the trigger to 2 1/2#, mounted a VX-III 6.5-20 with a EGW mount. After doing some load development the rifle was shooting under 5/8" at 100. But it was screaming for a brake.
I sent the rifle to Kevin Cram and he installed a Muscle brake, tac. bolt knob and a dura coat job. Kevin also sold me Sightron S-III 6-24LRMD for this project.
Now I'm back to load development and it's very promising.
4 shot groups at 100yrds, H-1000, rem 7 1/2m, remmy brass, Nosler 225gr AB's.
index.php
index.php

As far as elk hunting goes the 338-300 ultramag or edge as you call it and the 338 ultramag are the same thing since they do the exact same thing in the field and fill the exact same niche. Both are great starter rifles to get you into the big 338's if you have a standard magnum action lying around as a donor. Then if you like it and want to advance up the ladder toward the top you can spend the money for a custom big time 338 off the 378 wby case or the 416 rigby case. Then you really say wow!

I have had great accuracy with the 225 gr AB and 96.0 grs RL 25. Best group shot from my M700 LSS went .567". I now shoot the 250 gr AB with Retumbo. Accuracy is sub .5 MOA.

JD338

Thanks for the replies. The 300 yrd target was with 98.5 gr of H-1000, 225gr Nosler AB's, Rem. brass and rem 9 1/2m primer. If it will keep grouping like that I'll be happy.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.