338 RUM, 33 Nosler, 338 Edge, 338 Win, 338 Allen Express, or 338 Norma with 300 gr. Sierras???

Please answer, with regards to brass availability, and the highest accuracy potential; WHICH 338?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Very nice looking rifle, is that a standard 700 action with the bolt opened up?
I hear a lot about needing a .750 bolt and larger tenon size for Lapua sized cases.
I'm having a 338 NM put together in the next few weeks on a Mesa Precision Crux Ti action.
It's a 1.0625x18 pitch and uses a .700 bolt, they assured me it's all you need
Hard to say. I have taken big markV,s apart. Plug the bore and fill with kroil and stand it in the corner overnight. Wea mark V is 1 1/16 x 16 same a rem 700. The pressure swelled the tenon and the threads were so tight they wanted to gall. So do not over pressure it.

But to get back to your orig question, if you had to stick with a larger caliber than 7mm for elk at 1,000 yds, why not go with the .338 Allen Express?

As I noted earlier, I'm building a 1-8" twist 7mm Rem Mag [I just need to have the action trued; I already have 1000 Berger 180 Hybrid Hunters, brass, and an X-Caliber bbl], I just have PLENTY of the 300 gr. Sierras, as was thinking of a LIGHTER platform. :)

I own a 338 Win Mag and a 338 Lapua Mag. I would never give up either one. both shoot well, the only thing I would change about either one is the barrel twist rate. I like the 1:8" twist 0.338" barrels for 1K+ shooting. I have shot both of my rifles at 1K+. My slugs start destabilizing and have heavy wind deflection after 1200 yards. I shot a friend's 338 Win Mag with a 1:9" and the result for me was less degrading accuracy at 1000+. I then went to another friend with the exact Sako TRG-42 I have with one small difference, he sent it back and had the 1:8" twist barrel put on it. we were shooting 2K and the accuracy had not degraded one bit from 1K to 1760 Yards and beyond. these tests were with 300 M/K's and 250 grain M/K's. for accuracy at range and brass availability.. I would say Win Mag and Lapua. I have no idea what a few of those 338's are. I have heard of 33 Nosler, 338 Edge, and 338 Rum (shot this one). the others I have never heard of. of those three I think I would say the RUM for brass, and the Edge for accuracy. My preferred long range accuracy is my 338 Lapua. However if you must have more speed then by all means go get the RUM or EDGE(current 2 mile king).

Ummm...there's not a single RUM or Edge on the line at Ko2M...
Why is that? They are obviously accurate and capable. I'm ignorant to the ko2m.

Regarding brass, you can use 300rum or 375 brass for the edge. Easy

2 mile shoot. I believe David Tubb holds the record with a big 375 with an 8 twist Schneider but it could be another by now.

I don't think David has broken into the Top 5 yet at the Ko2M...not that he isn't capable, I know a couple times he had horrible wind to deal with.