338 RUM & 285 grn Hornady

450hunter

Has anyone tried this combo with any success? I haven't been able too find any load data either. My rifle really doesn't like 300 grn bullets so I thought I would give the 285's a try. Any load data would be appreciated and I contacted Hornady but they have no data for the 338 RUM. Thanks in advance

I shoot 285 eld match out of my 338 RUM.

I've only used reloader 33.

I started at 91 grains and hit max pressure with half ejector mark and stiff bolt lift at 101 grains.
Nosler brass. Cci 250 primer. 3.600 COAL.

Settled at 99 grains for 1/2 moa accuracy. I have not had a chance to test velocity.

I've shot them over Retumbo, 92 gr, gm215m, Rem brass. Single digit extreme spread, can't remember for sure, but I think velocity was around 2900. Groups weren't that impressive, went back to 250 Berger hunter hybrids.

Tagging in... I'm holding out for a .338 ELD-X, but if it's not out by next year I'll likey switch to this 285 grain ELD match.

I have shot the Barnes .338 280 grain LRX with RL 33 and maxed out around 2950 fps.

Rifle is custom.

Blue printed 700 action w/ 30 inch hart 10 twist barrel.

I'm hoping for 2850 FPS.

Current target load is 300 SMK's & retumbo @ 2725 FPS.

I went to the ELD for more reliable expansion on game. I hope to test these out on this years cow elk hunt.

Rifle is custom.

Blue printed 700 action w/ 30 inch hart 10 twist barrel.

I'm hoping for 2850 FPS.

Current target load is 300 SMK's & retumbo @ 2725 FPS.

I went to the ELD for more reliable expansion on game. I hope to test these out on this years cow elk hunt.

Very interested to see how the bullet works for you, keep us posted with results. I think something in the 275-285 grain range will give a more ideal blend of muzzle velocity and ballistic coefficient out of our RUMs.

You could always start with Lapua data. It's close enough to get you going.

Very interested to see how the bullet works for you, keep us posted with results. I think something in the 275-285 grain range will give a more ideal blend of muzzle velocity and ballistic coefficient out of our RUMs.

You got it. I had a chance to validate the load at 1140 yards yesterday. I'm netting 2825 FPS. I'm happy with that.

I too feel this is a perfect balance with r33 and the long barrel. Ive found with my other load w/SMK's at 2725, I would be better off ballistics wise with 250's. Now that I can drive em' faster with r33 we are in a new playing field.

I just purchase two boxes of the 285 Eld M and am anxious to try them out. I am getting 2800 with both 300 gr Berger and Accubond, so 2850 to 2900 would be great for an accuracy node.

I just purchase two boxes of the 285 Eld M and am anxious to try them out. I am getting 2800 with both 300 gr Berger and Accubond, so 2850 to 2900 would be great for an accuracy node.
I know this thread is about the 285 eld m but I havent got my 338 rum back from smith yet to try them. I did however try the 180 grain eld m in my 7mag that I used to shoot 180 bergers. My load for the 180 berger was 71 grains retumbo which put me right close to psi. No marks on case or stiff bolt lift unless extremely cold. Then slight plunger mark. I loaded up 70 grains retumbo in mine with Nosler brass and it shot sub .5moa. Yesterday we put 71 grains in my dads and it 1 holed 2 different seating depth groups but was right into psi leaving plunger marks. We will back his off slightly and try it again. Probably 70.5 or 70.7 will do the trick. My point behind all of this is that I have found retumbo performs its best right under psi. Typically single digit es and good shooting. I cant wait to try the 285s myself!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.